none
SQL Data restore

Question

• I’d like to export only data from one database and clone it to another without dropping and recreating the tables. Those databases have the exact same schema.

Note that the target database is on a client environment and it has limited permissions.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:25 AM

Answers

• Best way is to opt for backup restore process.

Exporting data from one databse to another for all table will be a cumbursome task. You may face refrential integrity, identitiy & other constraint issues for sevral tables. If you are planning for some particular table then I will say export import wizard or INSERT command is good.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Shawna Jacobs Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:56 PM

All replies

• You can do this from SSMS using INSERT with SELECT statements, but only if you are able to link two database servers. Other options is to use data export/import wizard.

For more details check this article.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:29 AM
  • Best way is to opt for backup restore process.

Exporting data from one databse to another for all table will be a cumbursome task. You may face refrential integrity, identitiy & other constraint issues for sevral tables. If you are planning for some particular table then I will say export import wizard or INSERT command is good.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Shawna Jacobs Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:56 PM