none
SQL Management Studio 2012

Question

• I just installed SQL Management Studio 2012 on my laptop for my web development class. I created a *very* simple 4 table database and, while trying to create a new database diagram, received the following error: 

"Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. (Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop)"

SQL then encounters a problem and has to restart. Can anyone tell me why this is happening or point me in the right direction? 

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:52 PM

Answers

• I just installed SQL Management Studio 2012 on my laptop for my web development class. I created a *very* simple 4 table database and, while trying to create a new database diagram, received the following error: 

"Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. (Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop)"

SQL then encounters a problem and has to restart. Can anyone tell me why this is happening or point me in the right direction? 

there's a entry in connect.microsoft.com for the same issue:

SMSS crashes when creating new database diagram

As this is a SQL 2012 issue, please try to install the first CU for SQL 2012 released 4 days ago and try it again.

Cumulative update package 1 for SQL Server 2012

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

No guarantee this will work, but this link suggests that selecting the menu option 'Window -> Reset Window Layout' may resolve the issue

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/thread/90949d68-a611-467c-b438-be97b8ab250b

There is also a connect item for this error http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/730985/smss-crashes-when-creating-new-database-diagram#details

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Do you get this problem repeatedly or just one time? I've tried to create a diagram in SQL 2012 for several tables in my complex DB and it worked. It could be a one time error. If you're able to reproduce this error, try checking SQL Server error logs and it's possible that you discovered a bug, which you may need to report on MS Connect website.  

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:18 AM
  • No, it happens every time. I tried the above mentioned solution (reset window layout) but that didn't work. 
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:22 AM
  • I am probably lucky as I didn't re-create this error. Since the Connect item exists, you can vote for now. Also try re-starting your PC and SQL Server - may be it'll help.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:32 AM
  • Hi NealAR,

Do you have Visual Studio installed in your machine? It seems that there is something wrong with Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.

It is a namespace of visual studio, please try repair or update your visual studio, or you can try to find a good copy of Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.dll, and copy it to <Visual Studio SDK Installation Path>\VisualStudioIntegration\Common\Assemblies

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:36 AM
  • Iric: Could you point me to where I can find a copy of the .dll online? I have VS on my laptop via a CD from the school that I don't have in my possession anymore. 
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Iric: Could you point me to where I can find a copy of the .dll online? I have VS on my laptop via a CD from the school that I don't have in my possession anymore. 

in that case you've to ask you if your license is still valid ?

to get the DLL just download the Visual Studio Trial version:

Take Visual Studio 2010 For a Test Drive

maybe there're other smaller download option which are legal too.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Ugh.... I have the product key from my Dreamspark download and was able to install VS Ultimate from the link. Still get the same error message though...

Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:23 PM

there's a entry in connect.microsoft.com for the same issue:

SMSS crashes when creating new database diagram

As this is a SQL 2012 issue, please try to install the first CU for SQL 2012 released 4 days ago and try it again.

Cumulative update package 1 for SQL Server 2012

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:06 AM
  • I am experiencing this problem (the DB Diagram crash). I tried the reset the default window layout option (Window – Reset Window Layout), but it didn't fix my problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Christopher Scholten 龘龗蘇

Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:11 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.

1) The connect.microsoft.com issue has been resolved as "cannot reproduce", and is closed
    2) I obtained the link to the hotfix for SQL Server and installed it, however all patches seem to be applied to the database server, rather than the SSMS tool. Either way, after it was applied, I tried again, and it failed. Note: The DBs that I'm trying to created diagrams for (in SSMS 2012) are for SQL 2008 DBs...

Christopher Scholten 龘龗蘇

Monday, July 23, 2012 4:50 PM