none
SQL Server 2012 Developer edition

Question

• I want to install SQL Server 2012 Developer edition in my laptop. I have SQL Server 2008 R2 trial version in my machine and the trial period has already expired. The question I have is: Do I need to uninstall SQL Server 2008 R2 before installing SQL Server 2012 Developer edition? If I do need to uninstall, what is the best way to do it. Quick response to this question will be appreciated...Thanks

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:36 PM

Answers

• No, you don't need to uninstall the SQL Server 2008R2. The different versions of SQL server do have an independent installation, so you can have several different version side by side on one machine. The only point is, you have to use unique names for the SQL Server instances on one machine.

And; you should uninstall the 2008R2; trial period expired, so it's useless for you and only waste space on disk.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Select "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2" in software and then click on "Uninstall"; a wizard will guide you. You can always cancel the uninstall on any time, if you are not sure.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:13 PM

All replies

• See this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

André CR / Helped? If the answer is yes mark! If the answer is no, wait a little bit because i'll back! Visit my blog! sqlmagu.blogspot.com.br

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:45 PM
  • No, you don't need to uninstall the SQL Server 2008R2. The different versions of SQL server do have an independent installation, so you can have several different version side by side on one machine. The only point is, you have to use unique names for the SQL Server instances on one machine.

And; you should uninstall the 2008R2; trial period expired, so it's useless for you and only waste space on disk.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Thanks for the response. Will you please also let me know the best way to uninstall SQL Server 2008 R2 as I see several 2008 R2 components in windows uninstall program list..... Thanks

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Select "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2" in software and then click on "Uninstall"; a wizard will guide you. You can always cancel the uninstall on any time, if you are not sure.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:13 PM