none
SQL Server 2012 Express is not compatible with Windows 8

Question

• I am running Windows 8, and I was unable to successfully install SQL Server 2012 Express using "SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU". I ran the file and from there I tried a standalone installation. Then, I waited for about one hour for the program to install the setup files. I decided to close the program since nothing happened, and I tried running "SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU" again. This time, I clicked on the option for a standalone installation, and I received a message saying that "SQL Server 2012 Setup is already running." So, I closed the program again, and Windows Compatibility popped up and realized that something was wrong. To sum it up, I believe that SQL Server 2012 Express is not compatible with Windows 8. Did anyone else experience the same issue?
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 8:54 PM

Answers

• I am not sure what happened, but I think that I did not wait long enough for the Setup media to install the setup files. Now, SQL Server 2012 Setup is on the next step. By the way, I have .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services. I do not think that they caused the issue. Thank you.

• Marked as answer by CatGuy90 Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:30 AM
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn on/off windows features -> Enable .NET Framework 3.5.

Make sure .NET Framework 4.0 is also installed before installing SQL Server 2012.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:21 PM
  • I am not sure what happened, but I think that I did not wait long enough for the Setup media to install the setup files. Now, SQL Server 2012 Setup is on the next step. By the way, I have .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services. I do not think that they caused the issue. Thank you.

• Marked as answer by CatGuy90 Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:30 AM
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:30 AM
  • Hello sir,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx speaks about the OS requirements and according to it, it is possible to install SQL Server 2012 express on Windows 8.

Follow the below steps for any SQL Server installation.

1. Check HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

In the right-hand pane, is there a value of PendingFileRenameOperations?  If so, is it empty?
      If empty close the registry editor.  If not empty, reboot the machine prior to running setup.  After logging in, re-check this registry value to make sure it is empty.

2. Make sure you have given the following permissions to the account which is running the setup.

A. The account has to be a local administrator

B. The administrator account has to be added to the following policies in secpol.msc

• Act as Part of the Operating System   
      • Bypass Traverse Checking 
      • Lock Pages In Memory 
      • Log on as a Batch Job
      • Log on as a Service 
      • Replace a Process Level Token

3. Make sure you install the required .NET framework.

In this case, it's 4.5

4. Launch the setup as "Run as administrator"

5. If you see that the installation errors out or hangs then collect a Process monitor tracing http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

6. Under the folder, C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log look for the folder with the correct timestamp.

7. Open the Details.txt and search for "at Microsoft" and this portion of the log will tell you the reason for failure.

Note: Make sure that the anti-virus is disabled before the installation is started.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you need any further help.

-KKB

Friday, January 04, 2013 1:12 AM