none
WriteBack in SSAS multidimensional or tabular? Embedding in SharePoint?

Question

• Hello,

I built up a Data Warehouse in SSIS. I run the OLAP in PowerPivot and also added some measures with DAX in PowerPivot.
    The PowerPivot file is stored on a website built up with SharePoint and is visualised on this website with PowerView.

How do I set up a WriteBack?
    There is no casual way to enable a WriteBack with PowerPivot. In an earlier project I already used the WriteBack functionality in SSAS multidimensional mode. Is there a simular possibility for WriteBAck in SSAS tabular mode? Shall I use multidimensional or tabular for the WriteBack? Is it possible to embedd and manage SSAS multi or tabular on the SharePoint website?

I plan to set up an additional Cube for the planning values in SSAS to enable WriteBack. (Yes I could have used just SSAS without PowerPivot. It is a PowerPivot project)

Best regards!
    Jörg

• Edited by J.Roca Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:27 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Jorg,

Writeback is only supported for multidimensional databases, the Excel Calculation Servives (ECS) in SharePoint does not support the write back functionality. Thanks for your understanding.

Furthermore, I would recommend you refer to the following article:
    Enabling and Securing Data Entry with Analysis Services Writeback: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg567303.aspx

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by J.Roca Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:35 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:56 AM

All replies

• Ok, I just read that Tabular does not support WriteBack yet. So I will use SSAS Multidimensional.

Is it possible to embedd a SSAS multidimensional Cube or the WriteBack Excel file to a SharePoint website?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Hi Jorg,

Writeback is only supported for multidimensional databases, the Excel Calculation Servives (ECS) in SharePoint does not support the write back functionality. Thanks for your understanding.

Furthermore, I would recommend you refer to the following article:
    Enabling and Securing Data Entry with Analysis Services Writeback: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg567303.aspx

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by J.Roca Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:35 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:56 AM
  • Hi Elvis,

thank you for your answer!

Regards

Jörg

• Edited by J.Roca Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:35 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:08 PM