none
Installing Business Intelligence Development Studio

Question

• Hello All,

I have been trying to install BIDS and it is driving me absolutely crazy. It was installed then uninstalled incorrectly. So I completely uninstalled all of SQL Server 2008 and its shared features (Integration Services and properly uninstalled BIDS)

I am currently using VS 2008 just so you know.

Now I am just installing SQL Server Integration Services and Business Intelligence Development Studio. Integration Services installs perfectly with no problems, but BIDS has been "FAILING" and I don't know why. While installing BIDS the "Status goes from Pending to Skipped to Pending then Failed. 

Below is the log file that is generated after the failure takes place and I cannot understand how to read or even go about rectifying the issue.

Some guidance and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated at this point. I feel like I have hit a wall.

Error Log

Package results:
      Failed: see details below

Execution statistics:
      Exit code:                     0x84B30001
      Exit facility code:            0x4B3
      Exit error code:               0x0001
      Exit message:                  Failed: see details below
      Package start time:            09/23/2011 17:48:06
      Package end time:              09/23/2011 17:49:27
      Package install location:      C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap
      Package initial action:        Install
      Media source location:         Install
      Media version:                 10.0.1300.13

Machine properties:
      Machine name:                  NYCOL0100
      Machine processor count:       2
      OS version:                    Windows XP
      OS service pack:               Service Pack 3
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x86
      Process architecture:          32 Bit

Properties provided in package.xml file:
      LegalProductName:              SQL Server Database Services 2008
      Description:                   SQL Server Database Services 2008
      Details:                       Install for SQL Server Database Services 2008
      ProductName:                   SQL2008
      Version:                       10
      SPLevel:                       0
      KBArticle:                     KB876234
      KBArticleHyperlink:            http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=876234

Command line arguments provided:
      ACTION:                        Install

Product features discovered:
      Product:                       SQL2005

Product:                       SQL2008

Feature status after execution:
      Business Intelligence Development Studio: Failed: see logs for details

Windows Installer logs generated during execution:
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20110923_1748\NYCOL0100_20110923_1748_Msxml6_Cpu32_1.log
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20110923_1748\NYCOL0100_20110923_1748_VstaRedist_Cpu32_1.log
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20110923_1748\NYCOL0100_20110923_1748_BIDS_Cpu32_1.log

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:17 PM

Answers

• Hi SSIS2011,

For this error, you can try these steps:
    1. Run Command Prompt and find the location of the DLL file using the following command:
    dir Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll /s
    2. Copy the location with the DLL name.
    3. Run VS 2008 Command Prompt as Administrator.
    4. Execute the following
    GACUTIL –i “{Location of Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll} found at step 1”
    If the DLL file Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll is missing on your system, you may, however, copy it from other working system.

Actually, VS2008 should be installed after you install the SQL Server. So the first time you met the problem may causes by the wrong sequence of installation. The second time, you may not uninstalled the VS 2008 successful, you can try uninstall that again refer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246604(v=vs.80).aspx

Don't forget to install SQL Server first.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:58 AM

All replies

• To Add: Would you think from an improper uninstall of BIDS would cause files to be corrupted on Visual Studio 2008 end?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Hi SSIS2011,

Do you have any error messages when you failed to install the BIDS? In the error log you post, there is no error messages.

For installing SQL Server 2008, if it installs a  Visual Studio 2008 SP1 component, and you have Visual Studio 2008 without a service pack installed, it will be failed. For more information please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956139/en-us

How do you install the BIDS? With media or iso files? You can check if your SQL Server has already uninstalled in control panel. If you want to reinstall it, please follow this website step by step: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143219(v=SQL.100).aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by SSIS2011 Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SSIS2011 Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:40 PM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Hello Iric,

I completely uninstalled VS 2008 and SQL Server 2008 and still could not reinstall SQL Server 2008 along with BIDS at all whatsoever. Apparently, there were a bunch of dll files that needed to repaired. Fortunately, I was able to get those files repaired. Now I was able to install SQL Server 2008 first, but BIDS was not successful. So after I installed SQL's Database Engine and Integration Services, I installed VS 2008 which went well. Did a restart and proceeded to install just BIDS at this point. Successful!

After all this being done, I proceeded to create a new project in Visual Studio 2008 as BIDS being the project type and Integration Services being the selected template and it generated this error.

"Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hi SSIS2011,

For this error, you can try these steps:
    1. Run Command Prompt and find the location of the DLL file using the following command:
    dir Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll /s
    2. Copy the location with the DLL name.
    3. Run VS 2008 Command Prompt as Administrator.
    4. Execute the following
    GACUTIL –i “{Location of Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll} found at step 1”
    If the DLL file Microsoft.SqlServer.Diagnostics.STrace.dll is missing on your system, you may, however, copy it from other working system.

Actually, VS2008 should be installed after you install the SQL Server. So the first time you met the problem may causes by the wrong sequence of installation. The second time, you may not uninstalled the VS 2008 successful, you can try uninstall that again refer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246604(v=vs.80).aspx

Don't forget to install SQL Server first.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:58 AM