none
Cannot Send SQL Server Database Mail using public SMTP

Question

• Hi all,

I need a little help here, i want to send email from sql server with database mail service. As i dont have any private mail server, so i try to use public smtp such as gmail,yahoo, or live mail.
    as i find a walkthrough to doing this things,
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/suhde/archive/2009/07/12/how-to-configure-sql-server-database-mail-to-send-email-using-your-windows-live-mail-account-or-your-gmail-account.aspx

and

http://ottoradke.com/2007/11/06/sending-email-from-gmail-with-ms-sql-server-2005/

i thought it is possible for sending test mail to external/public mail, but i always find error results in database mail log. 

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 2 (2011-07-18T18:11:21). Exception Message: Could not connect to mail server. (A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 209.85.225.109:587).
    )

I also try to change any possible port for smtp.gmail.com : 465 (using ssl) or 587 (using tls) or using smtp.live.com : 25 with ssl require cheked.

It is possible for configuring database mail with public smtp/mail server?

Very appreciate and thanks for any responses

Regards,

Firmansyah S

Monday, July 18, 2011 11:57 AM

All replies

• Have you ever found a solution for this?

I have the same problem

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:59 PM
  • hi,

Can you connect from a mail client to these services with the same ports from that computer? I'm/was able to use Gmail for database mail. Sometimes ISP's block some ports (eg 25) or your firewall blocks all these.

I hope it helps.

J.

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    Blog
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Yes I can connect using telnet + open stmp.gmail.com 587

Also SSIS (Sql Server Integration Services) connects fine.

Thanks for the suggestion though, any other idea?

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:06 PM