none
Installing a named Instance of SQL Server 2012, on a server where it already had SQL Server 2008 R2 Instance.

Question

• Hi Expertts,

I got a requirement to install a new SQL Server 2012 on a server where it already had SQL Server 2008 R2 installed.

My question is:

what care i have to take before and after installing the new instance.

The first instance is installed on C:

can i install the second instance on the same drive leaving the default location as it is?

I am worried because of the following documentation

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143694.aspx

SQL Server Sysprep does not support side by side installation of prepared instances of SQL Server 2012 with earlier versions of SQL Server on the same computer. For example, you cannot prepare a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance side by side with a prepared instance of SQL Server 2012. However, you can install multiple prepared instances of the same major version of SQL Server side by side on the same computer. For more information, see Considerations for Installing SQL Server Using SysPrep.

SQL Server 2012 cannot be installed side-by-side with earlier versions of SQL Server on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core SP1. For more information on Server Core installations, see Install SQL Server 2012 on Server Core.

Thanks,

• Edited by SQListic Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:00 PM
    • Moved by Tom Phillips Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:06 PM Installation question
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:55 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

If you are not using Windows Server Core, but a normal Windows Server with the tradional GUI, do not worry and go ahead.

You will not be using Sysprep, but using SQL Server setup program and will be using GUI interface.

So please go ahead, SQL Server 2012 will install on a separate directory on the system drive by default. You can choose to install it on another drive, however some binaries will be installed anyway on the system drive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:45 PM

All replies

• You can install named instance side by side for different versions of SQL Server on the same server (either on the default location or a location you choose).
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

wht does this prepared instances mean ?

SQL Server Sysprep does not support side by side installation of prepared instances of SQL Server 2012 with earlier versions of SQL Server on the same computer. For example, you cannot prepare a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance side by side with a prepared instance of SQL Server 2012. However, you can install multiple prepared instances of the same major version of SQL Server side by side on the same computer. For more information, see Considerations for Installing SQL Server Using SysPrep.

SQL Server 2012 cannot be installed side-by-side with earlier versions of SQL Server on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core SP1. For more information on Server Core installations, see Install SQL Server 2012 on Server Core.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Hi Expertts,

I got a requirement to install a new SQL Server 2012 on a server where it already had SQL Server 2008 R2 installed.

My question is:

what care i have to take before and after installing the new instance.

The first instance is installed on C:

can i install the second instance on the same drive leaving the default location as it is?

I am worried because of the following documentation

SQL Server Sysprep does not support side by side installation of prepared instances of SQL Server 2012 with earlier versions of SQL Server on the same computer. For example, you cannot prepare a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance side by side with a prepared instance of SQL Server 2012. However, you can install multiple prepared instances of the same major version of SQL Server side by side on the same computer. For more information, seeConsiderations for Installing SQL Server Using SysPrep.

SQL Server 2012 cannot be installed side-by-side with earlier versions of SQL Server on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core SP1. For more information on Server Core installations, seeInstall SQL Server 2012 on Server Core.

Thanks,

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:13 PM
  •  

Hello,

If you are not using Windows Server Core, but a normal Windows Server with the tradional GUI, do not worry and go ahead.

You will not be using Sysprep, but using SQL Server setup program and will be using GUI interface.

So please go ahead, SQL Server 2012 will install on a separate directory on the system drive by default. You can choose to install it on another drive, however some binaries will be installed anyway on the system drive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Do you plan to use sysprep?

The limitations you quote apply if you use sysprep. If you don't use sysprep, no problem. I'm typing this on a machine that has both SQL 2005, SQL 2008 and SQL 2012.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:03 PM