none
How many vCPU capacity of SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition in VMWare environment?

Question

• Hi,

I have 6 hosts in my VMWare environments. Each host has following physical capacity.

Processor Sockets - 4

Cores per Socket - 8

Total no of cores - 32

Logical processors - 64

Hyperthreading - Active

vMotion - enabled

I want to install SQL Server 2008 r2 standard edition in 6 VMs.

So how many license I need to buy?

Thanks in Advance.

Nik

Regards, Naman

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• And how many vCPUs I can allocate to one VM?

Regards, Naman

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

you need to license all of your physical CPU's but with standard edition you have only one instance in addition for virtualization and 4 for enterprise and unlimited for dataceneter edition as far as i remember. If you have additional questions please contact to the Microsoft Licensing support at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/worldwide.aspx

I hope it helps.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

My Blog | Hire Me

Friday, April 26, 2013 1:41 PM
  • I confused here what you mentioned.

Can you please let me know as per following?

1 VM  -> 1 SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard edition Instance -> how many license need to buy and how many vCPU can be allocated?

2 VM -> 1 SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard edition Instance -> how many license need to buy and how many vCPU can be allocated?

3 VM -> 1 SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard edition Instance -> how many license need to buy and how many vCPU can be allocated?

4 VM -> 2 SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard edition Instances -> how many license need to buy and how many vCPU can be allocated?

5 VM  -> 1 SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard edition Instance  -> how many license need to buy and how many vCPU can be allocated?

6 VM -> 2 SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard edition Instances  -> how many license need to buy and how many vCPU can be allocated?

Thanks in Advance,

Nik

Regards, Naman

Monday, April 29, 2013 4:19 AM
  • Hi,

I think it is worth to contact to the Microsoft Licensing support at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/worldwide.aspx

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

My Blog | Hire Me

Monday, April 29, 2013 8:43 AM