none
The connection "" is not found. This error is thrown by Connections collection when the specific connection element is not found

Question

• I've got a package which reads a text file into a table and updates another.  I set up configurations so that I could import it into the SSIS store on both my dev and live servers.  Now, I'm getting this error.  I tried removing the configs and am still getting it.

I've been through each step and everything looks okay.  Does anyone have any idea (a) what's wrong, (b) how to localise the error or (c) get any additional information?  Or do I just have to recreate the package from scratch?

TITLE: Package Validation Error
    ------------------------------

Package Validation Error

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Error at PartnerLinkFlatFileImporter: The connection "" is not found. This error is thrown by Connections collection when the specific connection element is not found.

Error at PartnerLinkFlatFileImporter [Log provider "SSIS log provider for SQL Server"]: The connection manager "" is not found. A component failed to find the connection manager in the Connections collection.

(Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration)

BUTTONS:

OK

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 3:43 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your help.  It turned out that I when I added a SQL Server logging provider (to help solve another problem) I didn't add the connection string name to the Configuration column.  Oh well!  Another afternoon to learn another simple thing!
    Tuesday, May 01, 2007 4:34 PM

All replies

• Did you build this package, or did a wizard such as the import/export wizard?

Also, if you open up the .dtsx file in Notepad (or your favorite text editor) you can search for:

"DTS:ConnectionManager"

When you find that section, look for the DTS:  Property titled, "ObjectName".  Do you have something listed there, or is it blank?  Keep searching through all of your connection managers if you have more than one.  See if there is one listed there with an empty ObjectName property.
    • Proposed as answer by Tinkureddy Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:11 PM
    Tuesday, May 01, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Thanks for your help.  It turned out that I when I added a SQL Server logging provider (to help solve another problem) I didn't add the connection string name to the Configuration column.  Oh well!  Another afternoon to learn another simple thing!
    Tuesday, May 01, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Thanks!!  I had exactly the same sit.  Your solution caused me to recheck this config setting and it was right on track.

Friday, June 01, 2007 5:46 PM
  • thanks Phil!!

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 2:38 PM
  • I just had this exact same thing happen and here is how I resolved it...

First I removed all of the logging of the package (error popped up after I configured logging).    And by that I mean everything having to do with logging, un-checking all of the containers for the logging, deleting the logs for the container and making sure no events are being logged.

Save the package, exit Studio and reopen the package.  When I came back in the error was gone now to handle the logging.  When creating the logging options make sure to specify a configuration for the provider when enabling logging this helps ensure that the connection is present when you complete the logging steps.

btw the first thing I did was to open the .dtsx file in my fav. xlm editor and search for "" in the DTS:Connections or anything else that would point me in the right direction and all looked great.  The error only went away when I did the steps that I outlined.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  Phil Brammer wrote:
    Did you build this package, or did a wizard such as the import/export wizard?

what difference between build this package or did a wizard such as the import/export wizard ?
    Friday, September 19, 2008 12:14 AM
  • Hi Guys!

I've been struggeling with the same problem for the most of the day now, and reading your posts led me in the right direction - hence I wanted to share my findings.

In my case the problem was not related to the logging-definition, but to the configuration-file that referenced an "old" connection manager. Opening up the configuration-file in notepad, and removing the xml-node in question solved the problem!

Regards,
    Yonzo
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:46 AM
  • A year later - I was having the same issue, and this post helped me! I had to reconfigure my connection in my logging task.

No errors now!
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Saved me too, an orphaned connection in the config.  Thanks!

Friday, February 05, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Here we are three years later and still finding the answer!  Thank you
    Derek M. Kennard
    Friday, August 20, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Hi there, can someone answer me this.

I have the same issue, the reason I have it is because I have A) renamed the connection managers to be something more meaninful than they were before, and B) to have more of the information inside a dtsconfig file.

Are we saying that if we do this task, we have to manually open the code in notepad and removed the old entries?

Is this not dangerous to do this?  Should SSIS be able to handle this?  I am not sure you should have to do this manual task just by renaming connection managers?  Your answers would be appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Thanks, it helped me today though this post is 3 years old :)
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:31 PM
  • This helped, thank you very much,

Alex

Friday, December 02, 2011 7:40 AM
  • 5 years later and I had the same issue.  Did not think to look for this as a first step, but found this post right away on a Bing search.
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 1:05 PM
  • This helped me as well. Although, I had to open the dtxs as xml and comment the Log-provider...  

Thanks

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:13 PM
  • Almost 6 years later and I found this...thanks!!

My issue isn't any of those listed so now I'm turning off package configuration and deleting the config files and turning off package logging. Next I will have to read my way through the .dtsx file.

Thanks, George

George H.

Friday, April 05, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Thanks. Your solution helped me to recheck my config file and there it was, the only missing piece in the puzzle:-)
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:32 PM
  • I had the same issue in SSIS 2012 - Microsoft failed to come up with better solution for troubleshooting this problem. The project was building successfully but failing executing with the same error message. The same goes for opening the package - the error message is displayed but you would have to spend hours googling to be able to nail where it is originating from. Would not it be so much easier to be more specific by indicating where the bloody connection was missing? Microsoft, please fix it in the future.
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:04 PM