none
How to use cubes of 2000 in 2005

Question

• We have to create reports based on cubes, which were designed using SQL 2000. We have migrated to SQL 2005. We have the cubes (.cub files) and a database of SQL 2000. We need to design few sample reports based on these cubes (specifically some charts). We are quite new to Analysis Services.

Can anyone guide us or point to the right direction, what are the steps to be followed here, like do we need to import these cubes into a 2005 database or can these be just copied in a folder and referred directly. basically where and how to start from.

Any suggestion or help is appreciated.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 4:24 AM

Answers

• I think you would benefit from the information in the sources you mention.

I dont think what I mention above comes in any contradiction with the information you get from the papers you mention. Is there specific point you are not certain about?

Edward.
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 24, 2006 8:02 PM

All replies

• It is not possible to re-use local cube files (.cub) that were created with Analysis Services 2000 in Analysis Services 2005.

You will have to ether Migrate your AS2000 server cubes to AS2005 or to create new cubes in AS2005 from scratch.

Edward.
    --

Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:27 AM
  • hi Edward,

i also had similar queries and got a reply as follows

"

This Project REAL paper should give you some guidance:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/asmigrtn.mspx

>>

Analysis Services 2005 Migration

Published: August 19, 2005

SQL Server Technical Article
    Applies To: SQL Server 2005

Summary: This paper guides you through the process of migrating to Analysis Services in SQL Server 2005. The Unified Dimensional Model (UDM) provides new design opportunities for cube developers. The UDM has brought together the relational reporting and OLAP reporting worlds to provide a unified forum for both data request environments. Understanding the new design options and how they affect your organization will optimize migration. The Migration Wizard is a fast and effective tool for moving your existing cubes to Analysis Services 2005. This paper introduces the wizard and helps you determine whether you should use it. In some cases it is better to redesign from scratch to ensure that you are properly leveraging the new features of Analysis Services 2005.

>>

"

please let me know if this is correct as i haven't tried out and i would also like to know how to try it out.

thanks,

Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:46 AM
  • I think you would benefit from the information in the sources you mention.

I dont think what I mention above comes in any contradiction with the information you get from the papers you mention. Is there specific point you are not certain about?

Edward.
    --

Friday, March 24, 2006 8:02 PM