none
location of *.rdl files

Question

• How can I find physical location of rdl files ?

I mean logic or how it works

In the SQL server - there are ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases, SSRS instance, IIS as web-server

but where are report files which were deployed on the server ?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:20 AM

Answers

• Hi ArtemB,

If you have deployed the reports to the server, the reports are stored in the ReportServer database rather than the rdl files.

Thanks.

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:41 AM

All replies

• This is a bit tuff to physically able to see the rdl's. But, its acheivable!!.

In my last project,  i created a c# console app and added the reportingservice webservice to my app. (we had to create a back of RDL's in a network drive so every one who is not a user has access to it).

You can pretty much see/process everything including the folder structure of the reports being stored in. 

There are only three types, i believe 1 is for a report 2 is for datasoruce and 3 for a folder. Dont get confused these are the values assigned to them in a table under ReportServerDB.

If it's report then read thru StreamReader and read it to a file and save it as .RDL as its pure XML.  If you want the folder structure also,  use system.directory class.  to create folders in your computer.

Hope this give's a direction atleast.

Here is the link for RS webservice.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa237438(SQL.80).aspx 

Try adding it to a console app and browse all the methods thru object browser. you should get a feel. You can even save/disable/enable data driven subscriptions through the web service.

It's a power ful tool, dont try it on production DB.  If no progress, let me know. I can help.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Hi ArtemB,

If you have deployed the reports to the server, the reports are stored in the ReportServer database rather than the rdl files.

Thanks.

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:41 AM
  • I guess i got hte question wrong, and yes if you are just looking for location, they are stored in ReportServer database as cml files. but the process i used to explain is to download the RDL files into your system.

Thanks

Kishore.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:50 PM