none
Upgrade from SQL Server 2008 SP2 to 2008 R2 (Developer Edition)

Question

• Firstly, having paid for SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition and upgraded as far as SP2 I assume that I am entitled to upgrade to R2, correct?

I have downloaded a file from MSDN called "SQLFULL_x86_ENU.exe". After unzipping and running setup, I get to the point where I need to enter the product key. When I do this I get a message saying that the product key is not valid. Obviously I have checked and double checked that the key number has been correctly entered fom the media box.

If anyone can tell me how to correct this problem I would rally appreciate it.

Ricahrd Campbell

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:43 AM

Answers

• Firstly, having paid for SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition and upgraded as far as SP2 I assume that I am entitled to upgrade to R2, correct?

I have downloaded a file from MSDN called "SQLFULL_x86_ENU.exe". After unzipping and running setup, I get to the point where I need to enter the product key. When I do this I get a message saying that the product key is not valid. Obviously I have checked and double checked that the key number has been correctly entered fom the media box.

Ricahrd Campbell

You need R2 product key.
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Hi Dick,

SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are different versions of SQL, although both of them include ‘2008’ in their names. If you want to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2, you need to purchase a product key except your SQL edition is SQL Server Express or Compact.
    This link will tell you the difference between 2008 and 2008 R2, and why upgrade to 2008 R2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/why-upgrade.aspx
    and you can buy a product key from the website below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/get-sql-server/how-to-buy.aspx
    Hope this helps.

Regards,

Best Regards, Maggie. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Hi Dick,

You need a copy of SQL Server 2008 R2 and install with the upgrade option. 

And please have a look at below link & attached whitepaper link on it which is helpful in understanding every aspect of upgrade to sql server 2008 R2.

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2011/01/12/sqlauthority-news-download-sql-server-2008-r2-upgrade-technical-reference-guide/

Hope you will find this useful.

Regards, Vishal Srivastava
    Friday, August 19, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of SQL Server 2008 R2 was a minor version upgrade on SQL Server 2008.
    • Marked as answer by Dick Campbell Monday, August 22, 2011 3:36 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 3:36 AM

All replies

• Which product key did you entered? the one which came with SQL SERVER 2008 or SQL SERVER 2008 R2 if it is SQL 2008 then this will not work on SQL SERVER 2008 R2.
    Vikas Rana
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:51 AM
  • I entered a SQL Server 2008 product key. If this doesn't wrok what do I need to do to get a SQL 2008 R2 product key?

I would have expected to be able to upgrade from SQL 2008 to SQL 2008 R2 at no cost. This doesn't sound like a major version upgrade. As it is Developer Edition, cost isn't really an issue, just convenience.

Am I going about this the wrong way? Is there another way to upgrade?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:02 PM

Ricahrd Campbell

You need R2 product key.
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:17 PM
  • You need R2 product key.

Does this mean that I need to purchase a new boxed DVD? As I said, it's not a matter of cost, just convenience. I was hoping to be able to download tgevupdate.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Hi Dick,

SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are different versions of SQL, although both of them include ‘2008’ in their names. If you want to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2, you need to purchase a product key except your SQL edition is SQL Server Express or Compact.
    This link will tell you the difference between 2008 and 2008 R2, and why upgrade to 2008 R2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/why-upgrade.aspx
    and you can buy a product key from the website below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/get-sql-server/how-to-buy.aspx
    Hope this helps.

Regards,

Best Regards, Maggie. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Hi Dick,

You need a copy of SQL Server 2008 R2 and install with the upgrade option. 

And please have a look at below link & attached whitepaper link on it which is helpful in understanding every aspect of upgrade to sql server 2008 R2.

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2011/01/12/sqlauthority-news-download-sql-server-2008-r2-upgrade-technical-reference-guide/

Hope you will find this useful.

Regards, Vishal Srivastava
    Friday, August 19, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of SQL Server 2008 R2 was a minor version upgrade on SQL Server 2008.
    • Marked as answer by Dick Campbell Monday, August 22, 2011 3:36 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 3:36 AM