none
Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456

Question

• Hi 
    Hope all of you are fine. 
    Recently I purchase New Laptop and Install Windows 7 64 bit OS. Before this i was working in Windows 7 32 bit. in 32 Bit SQL server works Connect fine. But Now in 64 Bit i Install SQL server 2005 first time. here is my Installation Process. 
    1. Install VS 2005.net 
    2. Enable IIS in control panel
    3. Install SQL Server and set Instance "SQL 2005" and set windows Authentication Mode. 
    4. Install SQLServer2005SP3-KB955706-x64-ENU
    5. Install SQLServer2005SP3-KB955706-x86-ENU
    then i connect SQL Server Managment Studio i set my Server Name MyComputerName\Instance Name
    like Personal\SQL2005
    But Error comes.
    Login failed for user. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)
    i have checked many websites in google and for help of this problem but i have still face to same problem please help.  
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:45 PM

Answers

• state 1 means that your account is disabled.

You could try creating another Windows user, adding it to the local administrator group on your computer, log onto your computer with that account and try accessing SQL Server then

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

18456 is a login failure message.  Is there any more to the message?  Usually you get a 'state' code with it, which will tell you what the problem is with the login.

Try adding the Windows account you've logged on to the machine with to the local administrator group (if it's not already in it), then try connecting to SQL Server again

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:31 PM
  • TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------
    Cannot connect to .\SQL2005.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    Login failed for user 'PERSONAL\Administrator'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476
    BUTTONS:
    OK
    this is the error  but i can not resolve it
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Server Name: .\SQL2005
    Error Number: 18456
    Severity: 14
    State: 1
    Line Number: 65536
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:54 PM
  • state 1 means that your account is disabled.

You could try creating another Windows user, adding it to the local administrator group on your computer, log onto your computer with that account and try accessing SQL Server then

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Yes you are right now i solve my problem. and sory for later reply thanks. 
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:19 PM
  • I am having the very same problem. I have a domain lets say ServerA and i have created group called as DevUsers group and in which i have created three users A, B and C. Now, i have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on a database Server called as ServerB. Now i have created a login in ServerB as DevUsers and have assigned them the access to one database. Now when i use the computer of user A (I have logged-in to the computer via windows authentication) and try to connect to ServerB with windows authentication, it gives me the same error. I tried adding user to local Administrator group and then run the gpupdate/force but still the same problem. I am able to connect to ServerB from user a with sql authentication. MY ServerB is configured to accept mix authentication. Any idea what could be the potential problem. IS there anything else what i need to do to be able to connect to SQL Server with windows authenticated user. By the way, i also tried creating a login with user A(not the entire group), but still the same problem.. 

Error Number: 18456
    Severity: 14
    State: 1
    Line Number: 65536

• Proposed as answer by Michael077 Monday, May 13, 2013 5:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Michael077 Monday, May 13, 2013 5:56 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:39 AM
  • Try this format. It works for me

Server type: Database Engine
    Server Name: ServerName\MSDPM2010            
    Authentication: SQL Server Authentication

Login: Domain\UserAccount            ex. Contoso.com\ADMADA
    Password: ************             
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Hi

Here is also a link to an article that discussion common scenarios SQL Server Error 18456

Take care

Emil

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Best way to overcome this headache is you use SQL server 2008R2 or 2012.

doesn't have to worry about your hardware architecture. not even if your architecture is 64 bit windows.

and then login with "windows authentication" not with the "SQL server authentication"

works fine with me.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:47 AM
  • That doesn't work for me.
    Wednesday, December 04, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Hello Jasmin,

I have been using the one mentioned by you.

But the problem is i want to login with SQL server authentication inorder to carry out some testing activities and i have been receiving the 18456 login failure message

Any idea to achieve that?

Thanks in advance.

-Murali

Friday, December 06, 2013 9:30 AM