none
SCCM 2007 Prerequisite check fail - SQL Server sysadmin rights.

Question

• Hi everyone,

Not sure if here was the right place to post my question to... if not, my apploligizs.

I have had couple of fresh installed virtual servers in Hyper-V environment. They're all running Win Server 2008R2 Enterprise. Now the first one is configured as the only DC and AD has been created. The 2nd one has had the SQL Sever 2008 successfully installed. The 3rd one has WSUS role installed.

Now the team is planning to upgrade the WSUS server to System Center Configuration Manager 2007. After running the SCCM Prerequistie check, it comes up with a compliment as "SQL Sever sysadmin rights". However, double confirmed that the SQL Sever has been correctly configured to give the user enough premission to access with. The user I am using to perform the check is Domain Administrator. In SQL Server instance, under "Security" node -> "Logins", the Domain Administrator has had four Server roles: dbcreator, diskadmin, public, sysadmin.

I am sure there should be nothing wrong with the firewall as even if it was shutdown, the problem remains the same.

Any suggestion is much appreciated. 

• Edited by Polarix Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:03 PM

Answers

• Finally I have fixed this error by adding the machine account of which the SCCM2007 is going to be installed on into the Administrators group on the machine where SQL Server is installed.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:08 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you are not using the Run as Administrator option to pass your administrator credentials to SQL Server.

A better option is to add your Windows Account as a SQL Server login under it's own name, so you don't have to use Run as Administrator.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Thanks for your commends Rick!

I'm afraid in Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise there has no "Run as Administrator" option when I right-click an execution file.

Another option which you suggested to "add your Windows Account as a SQL Server login under it's own name". Could you please specify in details on how to achieve this?

Many thanks.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:19 AM
  • And actually, the user I am using to run the Prerequistie checker is Domain Administrator.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Finally I have fixed this error by adding the machine account of which the SCCM2007 is going to be installed on into the Administrators group on the machine where SQL Server is installed.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:08 PM
  • This is the wrong answer, because I have same issue and I explicitly added 'mydomain\administrator' as sql admin during install.

So, this is clearly a Microsoft b-u-g.

I added the local machine as the op below mentioned, to admins, still no good.

Nothing anywhere mentions any "run as administrator" being needed.

All I'm doing is running Prereq checker, and it says "SQL Server sysadmin rights" - Error:

Either the user account running Configuration Manager Setup does not have sysadmin SQL Server role permissions on the SQL Server instance targeted for site database installation or the SQL Server instance could not be contacted to verify permissions. Setup cannot continue."

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

tnjman

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Turns out this was UBER-simple - though there is NO reason for it.

After searching other boards, I found that SQL Serrer (and Agent) services were NOT started - even though they are set to 'automatic' and have a valid service account.

Upon clicking 'start,' then the pre-req checker succeeds.

Hope the helps someone else with same issues.

Thanks!

tnjman

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:59 PM
  • This problem can ocur if you have installed SQL instance using Local Administrator.

Check if you have installed SQL using Domain account or Local admin account.

If installed using local Admin, uninstall and reinstall SQL using domain admin account.

Thanks

Vicky

Monday, April 16, 2012 3:00 PM

• Hi everyone,

I have 2 VMs in my Hyper-V lab. Both are running Win Server 2008R2 STD. Now the first one is configured as the Domain Controller. The other one is domain member server and i have successfully installed SQL Sever 2008 with all the features.

When i run Prerequisite checker from SCCM 2007 SP2 installer it comes up with an error, as below -

------------------

"SQL Sever sysadmin rights"

Either the user account running Configuration Manager Setup does not have sysadmin SQL Server role permissions on the SQL Server instance targeted for site database installation or the SQL Server instance could not be contacted to verify permissions. Setup cannot continue.

------------------

I logged in as Domain Administrator for SQL installation and mentioned the same account  during installation, even i logged in with Domain Administrator for SCCM installation.

Can anyone get me out of this error so that i can successfully install SCCM 2007 SP2.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:14 AM