none
how to fix Login failed for user ''. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)in windows 2008?

Question

• Hi All,

we are facing the Login fails issue .

how to resolve the bellow error , could you please suggested the possible ways .. ASAP

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to ..

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user '  domain\name'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSSQLSERVER
    Date:          10/6/2011 1:56:28 PM
    Event ID:      18456
    Task Category: Logon
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic,Audit Failure
    User:          domain\name
    Computer:      
    Description:
    Login failed for user '  domain\name'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

RAM

• Edited by TSRam Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:42 PM
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi TSRam,

If you are trying to connect using SQL Server Authentication, verify that SQL Server is configured in Mixed Authentication Mode and verify that SQL Server login exists and that you have spelled it properly.
    If you are trying to connect using Windows Authentication, verify that you are properly logged into the correct domain.

It’s probably because UAC. Try right clicking and running as administrator and seeing if it goes away.

Hope this helps.
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:04 AM
  • Thanx. Recommended.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:41 AM
  • Hi TSRam,

If you are trying to connect using SQL Server Authentication, verify that SQL Server is configured in Mixed Authentication Mode and verify that SQL Server login exists and that you have spelled it properly.
    If you are trying to connect using Windows Authentication, verify that you are properly logged into the correct domain.

It’s probably because UAC. Try right clicking and running as administrator and seeing if it goes away.

Hope this helps.
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Hi Maggie, thank you for your help. My problem was the UAC!!!

Rogério Picilli

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:36 PM
  • I had the same error and i "run as admin" slq server management studio and it works. 
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:12 PM
  • This is a particular annoying error that in some cases is related to a Change to the Windows user account (if you working with windows authentication) where the user login was created in SSMS and for some reason you change the same Windows user password; this will cause the SIDs to be different. 
    Therefore, an alternative is to drop the user Login account from SQL Server and re-create the Login account.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:13 PM
  • I was hitting myself in the head with this problem for a couple of minutes.... Everything was fine on the DC and Domain itself.. I added the Domain admins Group Principal for which I am part of... I was getting this error  ... Long History... Short  (Right Click and Run as Administrator took care of this for me..) UAC was the cause of the problem.

Cannot connect to XX-DB-XX3.

===================================

Login failed for user 'XXXXS\XXas'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

Server Name: XX-DB-XX3
    Error Number: 18456
    Severity: 14
    State: 1
    Line Number: 65536

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Explorer.ObjectExplorerService.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectionThreadUser()

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:51 PM
  • I can´t get past this error. I have SQL 2012 fresh install, and cannot login to a database engine. My SCCM installation is failing because of database.

Running in admin mode because of UAC = same result. I also tried to change credentials of starting SQL services, to a local service and to a domain admin, but no. Only exception is, that I installed all SQL components while server was still in a workgroup, not domain. I joined server to domain later. Could that be a reason?

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to SCCM.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user 'LABS\admin'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I also can´t get here to check Windows Authorization settings, http://www.katieandemil.com/microsoft-sql-server-error-18456-login-failed-for-user because I can´t any forward in SQL management console.
    • Edited by yannara Sunday, June 09, 2013 6:18 PM
    Sunday, June 09, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Hello,

I have earlier faced same issue "Login failed for user". I have provided key steps to resolve the same problem given below steps.

1. Open IIS.
    2. now open "Application Pool" in your IIS.
    3. Now you select “DefaultAppPool” option in your IIS and click on brilliant option “Advance Settings”.
    4. Now open drop down list "down Application Pool Identity" and select option "Local System".
    5. If are you working publicly then select "ApplicationPoolIdenity" from the drop down menu.

I have given Login failed for user which list steps to resolve the same problem with snapshots step by step.

thanks,

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:46 PM
  • Run as administrator worked for me .Thank u
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:40 AM