none
"SQL Server Import and Export Wizard Warning: 4 days left in evaluation...when expires, packages will not execute"

Question

• I bought SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard for $2699 on Sep. 20, 2011.

Today, while using the SQL Server Import Export Wizard to import a csv file I got the following warning:

0x800000036 {CF5F302-9149-42F4-AA8b-CE381A48471F} "SQL Server Import and Export Wizard Warning 4 days left in evaluation...when it expires the packages will not execute."

I just use this SQL to prepare data to run a template in Crystal Reports that was created for me. I know nothing about SQL.

I can not fathom why I am receiving this warning. What do I do to make sure the Import Export Wizard does not expire?

me

Sunday, February 26, 2012 8:04 PM

Answers

• How are you starting the wizard?

It looks like you are using an evaluation copy on your machine.

The wizard uses the executable called DTSWizard.exe.

Are you able to confirm the file version you are using?

You'll may need to search for it, and you may find it under x:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\xxx\DTS\Binn &/or x:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\xxx\DTS\Binn, and when you find it right click and select properties, and check the details tab (specifically the File version). It should say 10.50.something.

If you have more than one copy of DTSWizard.exe on your machine, it is likely that one is the evaluation version. It should be simple to test by using each one and see if you get the warning.

• Marked as answer by ShawnHarmon Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:49 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:40 AM

All replies

• You can confirm the version you have installed via the below query in SSMS

SELECT @@VERSION

If you have the evaluation edition you can enter your valid product key via the SQL media and selecting the below & follow the prompts

• Marked as answer by ShawnHarmon Monday, February 27, 2012 12:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ShawnHarmon Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:13 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Thank you Kevin but I am an undeducated couth...how do I do SSMS and: SELECT @@VERSION in Widows7?

Am I validating the import/export feature or the entire SQL 2008R2?

me

Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Ok I found the place to enter my SQL Server 2008R2 Product Key.

This should eliminate the Warning Four days left when I open Import Export wizard correct?

me

Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:56 PM
  • You can launch SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) from the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 program group.  Specify the server name and click the connect button.  Then click the new query button and enter the SELECT @@VERSION query in the window.  Finally, click the Execute button.

Alternatively, you run the following  from the command-prompt on the server (assuming a default instance):

SQLCMD -E -Q"SELECT @@VERSION;"

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:56 PM
  • SSMS is short for SQL Server Management Studio.

Open a New Query window in SSMS and run SELECT @@VERSION this will report the version of your install. If you have an evaluation edition this affects your whole installation and you'll need to enter your product key as mentioned above, and hopefully your error will go away.

As always, to be on the safe side, backup your databases prior to doing this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187510.aspx

• Edited by KevinNicholas Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:04 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by ShawnHarmon Monday, February 27, 2012 12:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ShawnHarmon Monday, February 27, 2012 12:47 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:57 PM
  • Weird.

This warning occurs when the Import Export Wizard is opened. Yesterday you had me enter my MS license key and I did so but is this Wizard somehow different?

I got this warning again.

me

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:14 AM
  • How are you starting the wizard?

It looks like you are using an evaluation copy on your machine.

The wizard uses the executable called DTSWizard.exe.

Are you able to confirm the file version you are using?

You'll may need to search for it, and you may find it under x:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\xxx\DTS\Binn &/or x:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\xxx\DTS\Binn, and when you find it right click and select properties, and check the details tab (specifically the File version). It should say 10.50.something.

If you have more than one copy of DTSWizard.exe on your machine, it is likely that one is the evaluation version. It should be simple to test by using each one and see if you get the warning.

• Marked as answer by ShawnHarmon Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:49 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Hi ShawnHarmon,

From the error messages, you used the SQL Server Evaluation Edition. SQL Server Evaluation Edition is not support to be upgraded to SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard. Since you bought SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard, you could install it to solve the issue. Then you could use SQL Server Import and Export Wizard.

Of course, you could check if you used SQL Server Evaluation Edition now. Click Start and click All Program, choose Microsoft SQL Server, then select SQL Server Management Studio. When you connect SQL Serve engine, you could open a new query and input SELECT @@ VERSION.  You could get the SQL Server version you have installed.

How to install SQL Server 2008 R2: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143219.aspx.

If you have any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:50 AM
  • I discovered the same thing yesterday before I read your post Maggie! My IQ is going up.

I had never installed the cd/dvd and instead have been operating on the evaluation copy. So yesterday I installed it and now the warning is gone.

me

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:48 PM