none
sql query question

Question

• Very very new to sql and working with existing database that I cannot change. I've worked written a query that pulls information from several tables to display Customer details, Product Name and quantity purchased. The only issue I have is that if the same customer buys two different products, they show as two separate rows on the resulting csv file and I need to be able to display it differently. Is it possible to display the cell data for a table column as a column heading in a query result? So for example my Product table column format is this:

and I want to display the results of a query so that each of the products are displayed as column headings with the number of sales of each product below - can this be done?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:16 PM

Answers

• Try:

SELECT * FROM FROM (Select OrderID, Cost, ProductCode FROM OrderDetails ) X PIVOT (Sum(Cost) FOR ProductCode IN [BLOGBK], [BLOGBK2], [DTFSBK1], [ENLBOX1], [ENLBOX2],

[ENTS-LG], [ENTS-MED], [ENTS-XL], [GYPBK], [ICTS1CD], [ICTS2DVDN], [ICTS2DVDP], [ICTSAB],

[ICTSABPACK], [ICTSBK1], [ICTSBNTSC], [ICTSBPAL], [THOTNTSC1], [THOTPAL1], [TWU2DVDN], [TWU2DVDP],

[TWUAB], [TWUBK1], [TWUBNTSC], [TWUBPAL])) AS Orders

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

• Edited by Naomi NModerator Friday, March 16, 2012 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by DollyFan Friday, March 16, 2012 10:40 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 1:36 AM

All replies

• You can try using PIVOT clause.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177410.aspx

Vinay Valeti| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:19 PM
  • You will need to pivot the rows to columns.  Here is a blog post with a sample of how to do that, http://jahaines.blogspot.com/2009/08/pivoting-data-using-sql-2005-part-1.html

http://jahaines.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Thanks for both of these, had a look at both the msdn link and your blogspot Adam but I think I'm a bit too much of a beginner to get the hang of this as I keep getting syntax errors when I try it.

I stripped it back to basics (I think) to try get just the one column to pivot this but still getting Your SQL is invalid: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'FOR'.

For this query:

SELECT OrderDetails.ProductCode, [BLOGBK] AS BLOGBK, [BLOGBK2] AS BLOGBK2, [DTFSBK1] AS DTFSBK1, [ENLBOX1] AS ENLBOX1, [ENLBOX2] AS ENLBOX2, [ENTS-LG] AS ENTS_LG, [ENTS-MED] AS ENTS_MED, [ENTS-XL] AS ENTS_XL, [GYPBK] AS GYPBK, [ICTS1CD] AS ICTS1CD, [ICTS2DVDN] AS ICTS2DVDN, [ICTS2DVDP] AS ICTSDVDP, [ICTSAB] AS ICTSAB, [ICTSABPACK] AS ICTSBPACK, [ICTSBK1] AS ICTSBK1, [ICTSBNTSC] AS ICTSBNTSC, [ICTSBPAL] AS ICTSBPAL, [THOTNTSC1] AS THOTNTSC1, [THOTPAL1] AS THOTPAL1, [TWU2DVDN] AS TWU2DVDN, [TWU2DVDP] AS TWU2DVDP, [TWUAB] AS TWUAB, [TWUBK1] AS TWUBK1, [TWUBNTSC] AS TWUBNTSC, [TWUBPAL] AS TWUBPAL
    FROM OrderDetails
    PIVOT (FOR ProductCode IN [BLOGBK], [BLOGBK2], [DTFSBK1], [ENLBOX1], [ENLBOX2], [ENTS-LG], [ENTS-MED], [ENTS-XL], [GYPBK], [ICTS1CD], [ICTS2DVDN], [ICTS2DVDP], [ICTSAB], [ICTSABPACK], [ICTSBK1], [ICTSBNTSC], [ICTSBPAL], [THOTNTSC1], [THOTPAL1], [TWU2DVDN], [TWU2DVDP], [TWUAB], [TWUBK1], [TWUBNTSC], [TWUBPAL])
    AS Orders

I've tried replacing ProductCode with OrderDetails.ProductCode as there are multiple tables in the database and ProductCode occurs on more than one but still get the same invalid statement - can you tell what I'm doing wrong?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Yes.

You need an aggregate function in the PIVOT clause.

PIVOT ( MAX(..) FOR PRODUCTCODE IN ...) AS Orders

N 56°04'39.26"
    E 12°55'05.63"

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Your Pivot statement needs to be something like:

(MAX(OrderDetails) FOR ProductCode IN (...)) pvt (the actual aggregate might be different in your case).

Also, it looks like you need to pivot on more than one column.  Take a look at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kenobonn/archive/2009/03/22/pivot-on-two-or-more-fields-in-sql-server.aspx.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Thanks for those - still trying, will let you know if I succeed!!

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Try:

SELECT * FROM FROM (Select OrderID, Cost, ProductCode FROM OrderDetails ) X PIVOT (Sum(Cost) FOR ProductCode IN [BLOGBK], [BLOGBK2], [DTFSBK1], [ENLBOX1], [ENLBOX2],

[ENTS-LG], [ENTS-MED], [ENTS-XL], [GYPBK], [ICTS1CD], [ICTS2DVDN], [ICTS2DVDP], [ICTSAB],

[ICTSABPACK], [ICTSBK1], [ICTSBNTSC], [ICTSBPAL], [THOTNTSC1], [THOTPAL1], [TWU2DVDN], [TWU2DVDP],

[TWUAB], [TWUBK1], [TWUBNTSC], [TWUBPAL])) AS Orders

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

• Edited by Naomi NModerator Friday, March 16, 2012 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by DollyFan Friday, March 16, 2012 10:40 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 1:36 AM