none
Encryption

Question

• What is Encryption , What is use of this,

In MS SQL SERVER 2008 Transparent Data Encription what is this i am google it but i m not getting good information can you any body guide me

i think this encryption option in relearsed in MS SQL ERVER 2005..

Correct me..

subu
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:36 AM

Answers

• TDE uses encryption differently to database level encryption. It is called transparent because it does the encryption in the background, the data files are encrypted on the disk however the data is still viewable in the tables. It means that if an intruder got access to the datafiles only they would be protected. There is a small performance impact but essentially TDE is fairly straightforward to setup, you have to decide if it's level of protection is sufficient. The other option is encryption at the database level which must be designed into your applications carefully, development changes are required to do this. Database or cell level encryption was released in 2005 while TDE was released in 2008. Make sure you have the right edition to use them. Anyway you can read more about it here...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc278098(SQL.100).aspx

Thanks

/Neil Moorthy - Senior SQL Server DBA/Developer (MCITP (2005), MCAD, OCA 11g) Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Hi Subu999,

Good explanation TDE really appreciated to you. i have small dought in What is ENCRYPTION what is the use of it.

The Encyption in SQL Server is the process of obfuscating data by the use of a key or password. This can make the data useless without the corresponding decryption key or password. We could use encryption in SQL Server for connections, data, and stored procedures.

Here is the architecture of Encryption in SQL Server:

For more details, please refer to this article:

Encryption Hierarchy
    SQL Server Encryption

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Weilin Qiao

Friday, November 26, 2010 12:00 PM

All replies

• TDE uses encryption differently to database level encryption. It is called transparent because it does the encryption in the background, the data files are encrypted on the disk however the data is still viewable in the tables. It means that if an intruder got access to the datafiles only they would be protected. There is a small performance impact but essentially TDE is fairly straightforward to setup, you have to decide if it's level of protection is sufficient. The other option is encryption at the database level which must be designed into your applications carefully, development changes are required to do this. Database or cell level encryption was released in 2005 while TDE was released in 2008. Make sure you have the right edition to use them. Anyway you can read more about it here...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc278098(SQL.100).aspx

Thanks

/Neil Moorthy - Senior SQL Server DBA/Developer (MCITP (2005), MCAD, OCA 11g) Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Hi Team,

good explanation TDE really appreciated to you. i have small dought in What is ENCRYPTION what is the use of it.

Tx

subu
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:17 AM
  • From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encryption

In cryptography, encryption is the process of transforming information (referred to as plaintext) using an algorithm (called cipher) to make it unreadable to anyone except those possessing special knowledge, usually referred to as a key.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Hello,

Check the following article which explains how to use Transparent Data Encryption feature of SQL Server 2008 and also discusses about some of advantages and disadvantages of using TDE.

Using Transparent Data Encryption Feature of SQL Server 2008

Hope that Helps! 

Thanks
    Ashish Kumar Mehta

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Hi Subu999,

Good explanation TDE really appreciated to you. i have small dought in What is ENCRYPTION what is the use of it.

The Encyption in SQL Server is the process of obfuscating data by the use of a key or password. This can make the data useless without the corresponding decryption key or password. We could use encryption in SQL Server for connections, data, and stored procedures.

Here is the architecture of Encryption in SQL Server:

For more details, please refer to this article:

Encryption Hierarchy
    SQL Server Encryption

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Weilin Qiao

Friday, November 26, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

I don't really understand how does CELL-LEVEL encryption work ??? is cell-level encryption = column-level encryption ?? is it the same encryption method ?????

what's the diffrent between TDE and cell-level encryption ?

I don't find many documents and books talking about cell-level encryption ... if you can help me to find some articles or documents or books about cell-level encryption, it will help me so much !!! 

I Have studied TDE well and now i'm looking for another methods of encryption like cell-level .. another ones if you have an idea of methods of encryption databases help me please !!!

Thank you very much

Dora_TDE

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:16 PM