none
Analysis error Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.; 28000.

Question

• I'm deploying a copy of a cube from production to a test environment. I'm getting this error 'OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.; 28000.'

On the datasource, impersonate information was set to use the service account, but I tried with all the available optionsincluding my credentials. But I cannot figure out why I'm getting this error.

Also, from the dsv, i'm able to browse through all the tables.

Any suggestions would help.

thanks,

Rok

Sunday, April 03, 2011 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hmm, error implies impersonation info on connection string, security context failes. Check for the service account on test server, and under impersonation info put service account.

If you still get an error try processing manually from SSMS and see if you get the same error or not.

MC

• Marked as answer by rok1 Tuesday, April 05, 2011 4:22 AM
    Sunday, April 03, 2011 6:22 PM

All replies

• Hmm, error implies impersonation info on connection string, security context failes. Check for the service account on test server, and under impersonation info put service account.

If you still get an error try processing manually from SSMS and see if you get the same error or not.

MC

• Marked as answer by rok1 Tuesday, April 05, 2011 4:22 AM
    Sunday, April 03, 2011 6:22 PM
  • I still got an error. I created a new test project using the same datasource using my credential option as the impersonation and it processed fine.
    Sunday, April 03, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Your Windows credentials are used to create the connection strings to your data source at design-time. During processing and run-time, Analysis Services needs an account to be able to reach the data source. Keep in mind that you will not always process Analysis Services cubes manually within BIDS or SSMS. Once the Analysis Services cube is initially deployed, in most environments you will have scheduled SSIS packages that will re-process the cubes every night. In order for Analysis Services to be able to read the data from your data source, it needs some form of credentials to pass through. This is also known as impersonation.

In Analysis Services 2008-R2, there are several impersonation options:

• Use a specific Windows username and password
    • Use the service account
    • Use the credentials of the current user
    • Inherit (or default)

Please check here for more help http://sqljoe.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/ssas-errors-logon-failure-cube-process-failure/

Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:13 PM
  • RamJadhu,

I'm aware of that. Let me try to explain, I have an AS database in production environment. which is using "use the service account" as the impersonation option. I have a read access to the datasource (my windows account).

I create a new import analysis services project from the production environment, and change the impersonation to "use a windows username and password" option and try to create the same solution in a test  server which I've sysadmin rights. Why would it give me that error?

Monday, April 04, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Hi,

Once go through the following whitepaper, actually it is for SSAS 2005 but most of the settings applies to SSAS 2008 as well;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917670.aspx

Aniruddha http://aniruddhathengadi.blogspot.com/
    Monday, April 04, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Check the data source property on the analysis server, try testing it. Perhaps it is pointing to the production database and not to the test db?

MC

Monday, April 04, 2011 11:59 AM
  • MC is right, this could be a problem. In general, you can go through these steps:

1. Ensure that there is nothing deployed to your SSAS instance

2. Open the project in BIDS

3. Check deployment options of the project to make sure you are deploying to the right server

4. Check the Data Source - is it pointing to the correct location and does Test Connection succeed?

5. Check the Impersonation Information tab and make sure that the option there will work for SSAS to connect to the database server - as in there is a login for the option (e.g. if you are using a service account, on the SQL Server side you must make sure that this account has the necessary access permissions, which you can test - easy way to avoid problems here is to give it sysadmin)

6. Click on process and see if the solution gets deployed properly

7. Process

8. If any errors, open SSMS and see if the project is there (won't be if can't get deployed)

9. If you can see it in SSMS you can open the data source there and check the properties as above (including impersonation information)

10. If all good in SSMS, process it there

11. If this also doesn't work - come back here and hopefully there will be some sort of a solution based on what you tell us

Boyan Penev --- http://www.bp-msbi.com
    • Proposed as answer by EricLeBouffon Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:18 AM
    Monday, April 04, 2011 12:14 PM