none
Can a XML Schema Collection refer simpleType/complexType defined in another XML schema collection?

Question

• Hi there,

I have several XSDs which all use simpleType/complexType in GlobalTypes XSD. I tried to create a XML Schema Collection called GlobalTypes and created other XML Schema Collections using xs:import to import GlobalTypes but I always get error message - Reference to an undefined name 'XXX' within namespace 'XXX'. But if I copied GlobalTyps XSD into the XSD, I can create the XML Schema Collection.

I wonder if there is a way to refer simpleType/complexType defined in the GlobalTypes XML Schema Collections, otherwise I have to alter all XML Schema Collections if the GlobalTypes changed.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi wirelessoracle,

I would like involve someone similar with  to look into this issue. Thanks for your understanding.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 19, 2011 12:28 PM
  • I think this is possible using xsd:import, assuming you have your XML SCHEMA COLLECTIONs stored as .xsd files, and create a routine to import them.  SQL Server ( as at 2008 R2 ) does not support xsd:include.

See this link which does something similar:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/denisruc/archive/2006/04/18/578671.aspx

Monday, December 19, 2011 5:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello,

It’s impossible to be sure without some kind of repro. This particular  error message can be thrown for several different reasons.

A few of the more likely possibilities:

• It could be that the imported XSD contains an element at the top level that has both a name attribute and a ref. This is not legal.
    • It could be complaining about a bad location in the schemaLocation attribute. We had problems with that in older versions of MSXML.  I don’t see in the post which version you are using. Is this .Net or Native 
    • Import will fail if you try to derive by restriction in the second schema, using a base type defined in the first schema

Hope this helps

Terrell-An

Terrell An -MSFT
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:04 PM