none
How to create more than 4 connections to a single .cub file in Excel 2010 - "The following system error occured: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

Question

• We have an automated ETL process that creates several different .cub files which we call "Offline cubes". These are all done via SSIS and published to a folder where users download them and use them in their excel reports while traveling.

Now, what we noticed is that regardless of which .cub file one uses in a single Excel workbook if one creates more than 4 pivot tables that have the same .cub file as a datasource Excel produces an error:

"The following system error occured: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

Once one clicks on OK than excel gives you a screen with the "Multidimensional Connection 10.0" wizard. And then this wizard produces the same error unable to create yet another pivot table on the same connection

Is there a limitation of excel to use the same .cub file in more than 4 different pivot tables?

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:26 PM

Answers

• Microsoft claims this is a limitation according to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522640.aspx

ADMOD.NET and Analysis Management Objects (AMO) also load the local cube engine when interacting with local cubes. Only a single process can access a local cube file, because the local cube engine exclusively locks a local cube file when it establishes a connection to the local cube. With a process, up to five simultaneous connections are permitted.

Only, we are able to open only 4 connections, and the 5th one produces an error. Is there a way around this? Any workarounds?

Luka

• Marked as answer by LukaBD Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:32 AM
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi There

Please see the following thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/e83bc183-5255-4077-a637-2cdfd9eab627#e2e46da8-1b20-4ac2-85f0-28e2e9fa277d

I hope you will find the answer of your question

Many thanks

Syed Qazafi Anjum

Please click "Mark as Answer" if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful.

• Proposed as answer by Syed Qazafi Anjum Tuesday, May 01, 2012 12:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by LukaBD Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:33 AM
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 12:00 AM
  • No, this is not the answer!! I am not even talking about slicers and certainly I am not talking about more than one connection in a workbook. I am talking about using one connection file (.cub)  in more than 4 pivot tables. The first time you introduce the connection to the workbook than you reuse the same one for all the other reports/pivot tables.

Can you try to reproduce this? Use one .cub file and open it in a single excel workbook with more than 4 pivot tables and you will get the specified message. What do you get? We are using Excel 2010...

Thanks,
    Luka

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Microsoft claims this is a limitation according to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522640.aspx

ADMOD.NET and Analysis Management Objects (AMO) also load the local cube engine when interacting with local cubes. Only a single process can access a local cube file, because the local cube engine exclusively locks a local cube file when it establishes a connection to the local cube. With a process, up to five simultaneous connections are permitted.

Only, we are able to open only 4 connections, and the 5th one produces an error. Is there a way around this? Any workarounds?

Luka

• Marked as answer by LukaBD Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:32 AM
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Luka,

is there any workaround for this problem. I tried to re-use pivotcache from one pivot table for others, but it didn't work.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:58 PM
  • Luka,

is there any workaround for this problem. I tried to re-use pivotcache from one pivot table for others, but it didn't work.

Not that I know of. Sorry!

Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:29 AM