none
microsoft ODBC sql server driver - timeout expired

Question

• We have a relatively small database for sales (SQL Server 2000), which users can perform some routine tasks in using an ODBC linked tool. This has been working for many years. Recently the tools pass through queries have errored with a time out. If I log on to the server and type the same query in enterprise manager I often get the same error. If I paste the query in to query analyser it runs almost instantly. Any ideas why SQl is giving the time outs? The table concern only has 335400 rows and queries are relatively simple.

Regards

ADG

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• I suggest you use the Profiler to capture the query and see if it's the same as the one you use in the Query Analyser. I think it will be a bit different.

Regards

Steve, http://sqlug.be/blogs/steves_sql_blog/default.aspx
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is a problem with the queries, they are all simple (two or three lines), and I paste the SQL text directly between the enterprise manager window and the query analyser window. I think something is killing the performance. The server in question has plenty of memory and disk space, and we have a job that runs each day to clean up the log files, so I am at a bit of a loss.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Hi ADG,

All of the common reasons for SQL timeout error are documented here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190181.aspx .Have a look at this link and let us know if that was helpful.

Thanks, Leks
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Hi,

Was this problem ever fixed? I'm having the same issue and am unable to get a resolution for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Prabhu

Monday, February 07, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Our problem was not really ever fixed. We found a DTS which runs every hour was impacting the performance, during the 20 minute run time everything ground to a halt, adjusting this eased things slightly, but still getting the problem.

Regards

ADG 

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:31 AM
  • I noticed the same issue recently with SQL 2000; the queries those were working for years and years are getting time-out recently. Nothing got changed, a high-end server with plenty of Room and Memory with dual Giga-bit connection.

Appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,

Yen

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:29 PM
  • We are running SQL 2000 (still) and are experiencing the same problem. Has anyone come up with any other suggestions? I have gone through the common causes of SQL server timeout documentation (as suggested by Lekss) but it has not helped. Our problem is intermittent and I will be looking at the timing of these problems to see if they may be related to a DTS package. Please let me know if you have resolved your issues and how you were able to do so.

Thanks,

KC

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:14 PM