How to access SQL Server 2005 Compact 3.5 and all it's instances on a Sony Vaio

Question

• Hi there,

I was wondering whether anybody can tell me how to access SQL Server 2005 Compact 3.5 and all it's instances on a Sony Vaio, it's just I want to secure it using MBSA.

Thank you,

Tim Auluck

Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:31 PM

All replies

• SQL Server Compact does not have "instances", it is an embedded database, in other words a bunch of files...

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog

Saturday, March 03, 2012 12:41 AM
  • @ErikEJ Is there absolutely no way of accessing SQL Server 2005 Compact 3.5 on my Vaio laptop? Thanks
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 4:23 PM
  • You can access the files !?

Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:17 PM
  • @ErikEJ Not from what I can see, but if you could please tell me ways in which I can access these files, I would be very grateful, thanks. 
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Do you mean "SQL Server 2005" and not SQL Server Compact? In that case, look in the services control panel. 

Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:17 PM
  • @ErikEJ I actually mean SQL Server Compact not SQL Server 2005, I checked Add or Remove Programs to see what version I have installed and it says I've got SQL Server Compact currently installed, is this different to SQL Server 2005? Thanks
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Yes, very much so (different). See this blog post (Express == SQL Server) - http://erikej.blogspot.com/2011/01/comparison-of-sql-server-compact-4-and.html

In order to "locate" Compact, look for files named sqlce??35.dll (where ?? is two letters like me, ca etc)

Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:37 PM
  • @ErikEJ I'll check the info on comparisons with SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server Compact later, but thanks for posting me this info though, anyway I performed a search for sqlce*35.dlls using the search companion with sqlce*35.dll for both partitions, can I access these files using Notepad? If so, how can I access these files? Thanks
    • Edited by Timbuctoo Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:48 PM grammatical errors
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:00 PM
  • What do you mean by "sure these files" ? And what problem are you tryng to solve?

Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:10 PM
  • @ErikEJ What I meant by "sure these files" was "access these files" and basically the problem I'm trying to solve is what MBSA highlighted in the security audit, is there anyway of securing the files you mentioned previously? Thanks
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:53 PM
  • I really do not think MBSA looks for SQL Server Compact - what did MBSA highlight?

Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:28 PM
  • @ErikEJ I'll need to obtain the security audit in order to find out MBSA highlighted about SQL Server Compact, I'll inform you as soon as I have got this information. 
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:10 PM
  • @ErikEJ Weakness related to SQL Server Compact is stated below.

SQL Server/MSDE Security Mode

SQL Server and/or MSDE authentication mode is set to SQL Server and/or MSDE and Windows (Mixed Mode).

Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:50 PM
  • I see no mention of SQL Server Compact here !?

Monday, March 05, 2012 5:07 PM
  • @ErikEJ Below is a screenshot to illustrate that I have SQL Server Compact currently installed.

Monday, March 05, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Thanks for the screenshot, again, there is not mention of SQL Server Compact in the MBSA report. I can see that the SQL Server Compact files are installed, but it is just files. I can however also see that the "Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (VAIO_VEDB)" is installed, also know as MSDE. This is a service running on your PC.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:21 PM
  • @ErikEJ When referring to Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (VAIO_VEDB) as a service, do you mean as a Windows service or do you mean as a Vaio service? Below I have attached screenshots of the MBSA report for you to analyse.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:39 PM
  • There is no such thing as a Vaio service, so a Windows services, yes (a program that always runs in the background)

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:42 AM
  • @ErikEJ Thanks for confirming with me, however I would like to know whatv you would suggest in securing this service, MBSA suggests to either use SQL authentication or Windows authentication, but how is this possible if I can't access the program and it's instances?

P.S. Please could Microsoft make these forums compatible with smart phones, thank you.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:43 PM
  • You can disable the service via Services control panel.

Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:17 AM
  • @ErikEJ Thanks I will do, but are you absolutely sure there is no way of securing this process? Thanks
    Friday, March 09, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Do you mean sql server 2005 or Sql CE? Which version of SQL CE?
    Friday, March 23, 2012 7:10 AM
  • @Vijyend I've currently got SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition, SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 and SQL Server Compact 4.0 as illustrated in one of the previous posts.
    Friday, March 23, 2012 9:32 PM