none
An impersonation error occurred using the security context of the current user. -- Report server is on remote server and file share folder is on local server

Question

• I have deployed a report on the server (e.g. remoteserver\reports) from my local machine. I opened the report in browser in my local machine and created a new subscription with windows file share delivery option.

But its giving an error "Failure writing file \\localserver\subscriptions\Report1.xls : An impersonation error occurred using the security context of the current user." Here "subscriptions" is the folder which I have created in my local machine.

I followed the instructions found in the link "http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157386.aspx"

Please help to solve this issue.

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Check the following things:

1. Go to Report Manager URL then your data source that you are using to generate the report. Check what credentail is using there.

2. If credentail stored is Windows credential then confirm that whether same account is having access to shared folder or not.

3. Normally Subscriptions handle by SQL Server Agent Services. Check SQL Server Agent Service is running by which account. Check whether SQL Agent account is having access to that shared folder or not.

4. If your server and local host is in same domain and you can access shared folders between localhost and servers then you can create shared folder in any of them.

Based on above points, Your issue should solved.

Thanks,

Vishal Jharwade

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The credential that you are using for implementing subscription should have access to your windows share folder. Follow the below link for File share subscription.

http://www.sqlcircuit.com/2012/10/ssrs-implementation-of-file-share.html

Thanks,

Vishal Jharwade

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have followed the same process. The credentials which I have given are same as my PC. But I am getting the same error. Can you please clarify the statement "Service account that is using for file share subscription should have write access to shared folder." given in the above link?

I am the one who created the folder and subscribing the report, so probably I have the full write permissions to the shared folder. What is the service account in this context?

I think the problem is, I am deploying the report on the server and creating the shared folder in the local machine. I tried giving shared folder permissions to the user on the server. But my local machine is in local domain and I cant access the users on the remote server. Do I need to create a shared folder on the server? I am new to SSRS. Please help me.

PS: I have assigned with all roles viz. Browser, Content Manager, Publisher, Report Builder etc. and My Role name (WEBSERVER\User) is different from my local user name (domain\username) in domain.

• Edited by sil174sss Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:09 AM
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 4:32 AM
  • Hi,

Check the following things:

1. Go to Report Manager URL then your data source that you are using to generate the report. Check what credentail is using there.

2. If credentail stored is Windows credential then confirm that whether same account is having access to shared folder or not.

3. Normally Subscriptions handle by SQL Server Agent Services. Check SQL Server Agent Service is running by which account. Check whether SQL Agent account is having access to that shared folder or not.

4. If your server and local host is in same domain and you can access shared folders between localhost and servers then you can create shared folder in any of them.

Based on above points, Your issue should solved.

Thanks,

Vishal Jharwade

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:33 AM
  • Thank you!
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 6:21 AM