none
microsoft SQL server VSS writer

Question

• Hello, I took a class that required me to use Visual basic 2008, & 2010. I no longer need these on my home personal computer and want the whole program removed as it does take up a lot of unused space. Can i remove The Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer without harm to the rest of my already aging computer ?
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can most likely uninstall Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer without any problems to the rest of the machine.  This application used to get included as part of the Windows OS to perform SQL Server backups, but wasn't highly used.  I think you're fine to remove it if it hasn't already been included as part of your SQL Server backup plan on that machine.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 3:08 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can most likely uninstall Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer without any problems to the rest of the machine.  This application used to get included as part of the Windows OS to perform SQL Server backups, but wasn't highly used.  I think you're fine to remove it if it hasn't already been included as part of your SQL Server backup plan on that machine.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Hello,

Yes you can. It will not affect any of the other things on your machine

Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:17 AM