none
Login to Analysis Services when domain is temporarily unavailable

Question

• Hi

This is a typical dev laptop scenario. My laptop runs ssas for my dev activities. I have added my own domain user as ssas admin, but when I'm not on the company domain, I can't access Analysis Services in SSMS as admin or deploy any development cubes from BIDS..

I connect to Analysis Services in SSMS, but no ssas databases are available and when I rightclick -> Properties on the server I get the following message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Cannot show requested dialog.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The connected user is not an Analysis Services server administrator. Only an administrator can make changes to server properties. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.ManagementDialogs)

BUTTONS:

OK

The database engine on the other hand, has no problems and I am able to perform all the normal activities when I am off the domain.

Why can't SSAS use cached credential - so to speak?

Regards Søren

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would try adding your domain account to a local group then add that local group as an SSAS administrator. You may need to start SSMS as administrator via the right click run as administrator option.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc304417.aspx

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:12 AM
  • Hi sdl75,

That message usually indicates that Analysis Services cannot map a user it contains to a known Windows account. Up to SQL Server 2005 every (local) windows admin became automatically also SysAdmin of SQL Server / Analysis Services. Since Version 2008 this changed, admins are no longer SysAdmin by default.

Please run SSMS as administrator, and then try to right click ->properties on the server.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Hi again

Thanks for the suggestions. My domain user was in fact member of local administrators (BUILTIN\Administrators) and I had already added this group as SSAS Server Admininstrators...

On the company domain yesterday I did two things: Added my domain user directly to Server Administrators and swithed the service account for AS to Network Service. This did the trick and when I switched the service account back to a local account it still worked - even outside the company domain...

Regards

Søren

• Edited by sdl75 Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:49 AM
  • sdl75,

There are something I really confused:

I can't access Analysis Services in SSMS as admin or deploy any development cubes from BIDS..

You said you can not access Analysis Services in SSMS, what error message did you receive? 

I connect to Analysis Services in SSMS, but no ssas databases are available and when I rightclick -> Properties on the server I get the following message.

Could you please describe it more detailed how did you get this error? Does it mean you have connected to the Analysis Server successfully via SSMS but could not see any databases after connected?

Please describe how did you get this error message more detailed.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hej Iric

"Could you please describe it more detailed how did you get this error? Does it mean you have connected to the Analysis Server successfully via SSMS but could not see any databases after connected?"

Exactly, I connected in SSMS, couldn't see any databases, tried to rightclick on the server node and got the following message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Cannot show requested dialog.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The connected user is not an Analysis Services server administrator. Only an administrator can make changes to server properties. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.ManagementDialogs)

BUTTONS:

OK

That is pretty much it - no further details are available.

But I am sorry for the confusion - my problem is sort of solved, as I described in a previous post... It appears that it only works with direct membership and not via group membership?

Thanks again for your effort:-)

Regards Søren

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Hi sdl75,

This problem seemed so curious. Could you please tell us how did you add your current user to  local administrators (BUILTIN\Administrators) group?

On the company domain, does this problem remain if you only add the group as SSAS administrator?

Best Regards,
    Iric

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:57 AM