none
Locate SSRS Log Files

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to locate my SSRS log files to troubleshoot some report problems.

I run Microsoft Visual Studio when designing reports using Report Designer, from a local installation of MSSQL Developer Edition on my notebook. The data source I work on is on a remote SQL Server.

I expect to find the SSRS Log Files on my local installation but I am having trouble locating it.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
    Kenny
    Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The SSRS log files can be found here:

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x\Reporting Services\LogFiles

where %ProgramFiles% is the language specific name of the program files folder and MSSQL.x takes into account the components installed.  An example of an install on an machine using English as the language might look like this:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\LogFiles

Hope this helps,

Bill

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:54 AM
  • Hi Bill,

I have located the Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x folders, but still cannot find any folder within each instance for the folder named "Reporting Services".

The following is what my folders look like.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/revboy/Misc/photo#5165967894276460082

I am runnnig SSRS from my notebook (with SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition), using the data from another SQL Server Database instance.

Thanks.

Kenny

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:51 AM
  • Hi Kenny,

You can check it from the ExecutionLog table in the Report server database, Which will give you everything regarding the reports execution.

Write the query

"Select * From ExecutionLog"   connect to Report Server database.

And for the SSRS log you can view in the path as said by Bill.

Hope this will help you .

Anyway please let me know if you get the solution.

Thanks

Mahasweta

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Hi Mahasweta,

I tried to query the table you indicated and found that it has no records. I think this table comes into play only if I am using the Report Server / Report Builder web environment to created reports. But right now I am designing and running reports via the SSRS Report Designer only, so I reckon it does not get logged into the dbo.ExecutionLog table of the ReportServer database (in my case ReportServer$MSSQL).

Thanks for the advise though, always good to know.

regards,
    Kenny
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:09 AM
  • Hi Kenny ,

Yes it works in that way .whenever you are deploying any reports into the server then it will give you the records about the data .But anyway did you find out about the SSRS log file, (currently am nt in my PC )

Anyway let me know if you get it.

Thanks

Mahasweta 

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

There seems to be some confusion between virtual directories and file system folders.  The log files are not accessible via http.  If you are still having trouble finding your SSRS error log files try the following:

• launch the SQL Server Error and Usage Report Settings application (Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting)
    • Click the Options button
    • The window which opens displays a list of the components installed for all instances on the local machine.
    • Expand the window to see the complete path to the reporting services log files, which will be on the right side of the screen.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:43 AM
  • Hi ,
    Just go through the below link ,it may help you.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb293147.aspx
    SELECT TOP 10 T.logTime, T.Message, T.InstanceId
    FROM dbo.ReadEventLog(N'Application') as T

The results are shown in Figure 1.

Figure 1. Results of the query

Thanks

Mahasweta

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:54 AM
  • Hi Bill,

I've located and executed the SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting tool and found only 3 entries, without Reporting Services:

All Instances / Others *
    <Default> / Analysis Services
    <Default> / SQL Database Engine

It would seem like I don't even have SSRS running or enabled.

Perhaps this is because I am designing and running report using Microsoft Visual Studio as an Report Server Project, where all my reports (.rdl files) and data source definition are.

Kenny
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

If you have deployed your project, then you can check the properties for your report project to find the TargetServerUrl which will tell you the name of your SSRS server.  If you run the report on this server, you can repeat the steps I provided above to locate and view the log files.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:06 AM
  • Hi Kenny,

The definitions of the reports which deployed to the report server are stored in the database of Reporting Services. Please verify where the database is “ReportServer and ReporServerTempDB”

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:49 AM
  •  

Hi,

My reports are actually not being deployed in a Report Server / Web-based environment. They will be consumed by the users using the Visual Studio environment where reports will be executed and then output to PDF files. As such, it does not hit the ReportServer or ReportServerTempDB database at all, and no logs would be found there.

I understand this is a bit of an unorthodox way to deploying SSRS but we required this to produce complexed reports properly.

Any other advise on locating the log files of the reports run time would help Smile

Thanks.

Kenny

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

Executing reports from a .NET app, whether it be desktop- or web- based is not uncommon.  I have written desktop apps which call the Render() method of the SSRS webservice to return either Excel or PDF byte streams to the client.

When you say your reports are "not being deployed in a ReportServer / Web-based environment" do you mean to say you are using the ReportViewer control locally in your app?  Also, are you trying to find the logs resulting from generating reports in the development environment?

Thanks,

Bill

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:49 AM
  • Hi Bill,

I am trying to find the logs resulting from generating reports in the development environment for this case ; and that is done purely within the Report Designer / Visual Studio scope. This is typically done using the "Preview" tab, as per the screenshot below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/revboy/Misc/photo#5171121352520487554

I do not use the Report Viewer or Report Builder.

I hope this is not too confusing. I myself am still trying to grasp and understand each component of SSRS.

regards,
    Kenny

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:16 AM
  • About this, if I rely on 2008 r2, the log is not in the msSQL folder but rather in the msRS.

The path would therefore be:
    %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS<your_version>.mssqlserver\Reporting Services\LogFiles

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:51 PM