none
SQL server is not able to connect

Question

• Helly everyone,

I am new here. I have read a lot of topics and sometimes it helped a lot! But I can't find the other issue....

I have installed a SQL server 2008 R2 on my client. An other server is installed on a server (SQL 2005).

I want to make a replication between this two machines. On the SQL 2005 server I made a publisher. Then I want to make a subscriber. 
    If I want to make a subscriber it gives an error. The selected Subscriber does not satisfy the minimum version compatibility level of the selected publication. 
    I have found a the solution in this forum and it says I have to make a subscriber on the 2008 box. So I connect with the IP adres in the 2008 box and I make a subscriber. The machine gives another error. Connection through a server alias, IP adress, or any other other alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, 'servername' (replication.utilities).

So I disconect the server and I want to connect the 'servername'. Another error I got: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server.

If I try to connect from the 2005 server to the 2008 server it works through a instance name. But if I try to make a connection from 2008 to 2005 instance name it don't work (with IP address it works but then I can't make a subscriber).

I hope someone can help and I hope you will understand what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:33 AM

All replies