none
How to Connect MS SQL 2005 Management Studio to SQL Server 2008 Databases ?.

Question

• Hi,

I am Facing Problem when connect from MS SQL 2005 to Databases of SQL Server 2008.

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to Server1\DCDB2,57519.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

This version of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio can only be used to connect to SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 servers. (ConnectionDlg)

BUTTONS:

OK

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:06 AM

Answers

• There are lots of patches..

Do you know specific ?.

Applying SQL Server 2005 SP4 should take care of the issue. Make sure you apply it from client componets.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7218
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:28 AM

All replies

• Iam_DBA

I guess this message is self expalanatory This version of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio can only be used to connect to SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 servers. (ConnectionDlg)

Thanks
    Manish

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.
    • Edited by Manish_BI Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:24 AM
  • It is possible to connect from ms sql 2005 to 2008.

do know answer ?.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Iam_DBA,

You can use SQL client tools to connect lower version of SQL and not higher higher version. 

Means from SQL 2005 client you can connect to SQL 2000

and

From SQL 2008 client you can connect to SQL 2005

Thanks
    Manish

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:32 AM
  • We may connect this ...

Do you have knowledge or you are same as mine

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:38 AM
  • It is possible, you just need to patch the SSMS see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946127
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:38 AM
  • Iam_DBA,

You can use SQL client tools to connect lower version of SQL and not higher higher version. 

and

Thanks
    Manish

This is INCORRECT. You need to patch SQL Server Management Studio to do that. Have a look at below screenshot from my machine where I have connected to SQL Server 2008 R2 Server from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Balmukund,

How we do this ?.

Let me know your answer ...

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Balmukund,
    How we do this ?.
    Let me know your answer ...

Refer KevinNicholas's reply. You need to apply patch for SQL Server Management Studio as mentioned by him.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:18 AM

Do you know specific ?.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:24 AM
  • Do you have knowledge or you are same as mine

You are having more knowledge than me.
    Thanks
    Manish

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:26 AM

Do you know specific ?.

Applying SQL Server 2005 SP4 should take care of the issue. Make sure you apply it from client componets.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7218
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:28 AM

• Iam_DBA,

and

Thanks
    Manish

This is INCORRECT. You need to patch SQL Server Management Studio to do that. Have a look at below screenshot from my machine where I have connected to SQL Server 2008 R2 Server from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio.

Thanks Balmukund for correcting me,

and just for my knowledge, I woud like to know, is it advice to do so (connecting SQL Server 2008 from SQL Server 2005), or its better to download SSMS for that version of Sql Server.

Thanks
    Manish

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Thanks Balmukund for correcting me,

and just for my knowledge, I woud like to know, is it advice to do so (connecting SQL Server 2008 from SQL Server 2005), or its better to download SSMS for that version of Sql Server.

Thanks
    Manish

Its always good to have latest version to connect to SQL Server as new features would not be visible in old SSMS.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Thanks Balmukund
    Thanks
    Manish

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Balmukund,

I Cannot Give all people to for simple sql query execution to 2008

I am not clear with your statement.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Dear Balmukund,

Many thanks for informing me about SQL Server 2005 Sp4.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:44 AM