none
Processing performance

Question

• Hi 

I have created partitions one for each quarter and for processing performance, now I am processing only current and last quarter partition and I am doing ProcessUpdate of dimensions first and then ProcessData followed by ProcessIndex (instead of ProcessFull) but I found that ProcessUpdate of dimensions is taking too much time and ProcessData, ProcessIndex is also taking almost huge time. I am using SQL Server 2008 R2.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi sqldeveloper2008,

Process Update: Forces a re-read of data and an update of dimension attributes. Flexible aggregations and indexes on related partitions will be dropped. Process Index: Creates or rebuilds indexes and aggregations for all processed partitions. For unprocessed objects, this option generates an error.
    Process Data: Processes data only without building aggregations or indexes. If there is data is in the partitions, it will be dropped before re-populating the partition with source data.  

ProcessUpdate does not discard the dimension storage contents. It applies the changes in a "smart" manner that preserves the fact data in dependent partitions. ProcessFull, does an implicit ProcessClear on all dependent partitions. ProcessUpdate is inherently slower than ProcessFull since it is doing additional work to apply the changes.

For more information about different kinds of SSAS Processing, please see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/karang/archive/2011/01/25/kind-of-ssas-processing-in-simple-words.aspx

Thanks,
    Eileen

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Monday, July 09, 2012 2:37 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 7:49 AM