none
SQLWriter VSS and AddNewTarget error

Question

•      I encountered the following problem. When I try to restore a file in the alternativedirectory with

HRESULT AddNewTarget(
      [in]  VSS_ID writerId,
      [in]  VSS_COMPONENT_TYPE ct,
      [in]  LPCWSTR wszLogicalPath,
      [in]  LPCWSTR wszComponentName,
      [in]  LPCWSTR wszPath,
      [in]  LPCWSTR wszFileName,
      [in]  bool bRecursive,
      [in]  LPCWSTR wszAlternatePath
    );

and pass wszPathC:\some_dir all is well. But when I pass C:\ (because my database files located at the C:\), alternate path did not applied.

Does anyone know how to solve?

Friday, May 04, 2012 10:05 AM

All replies

• What is the error that you are getting? Are you sure that you aren't getting an Access denied/Permissions issue with this?  The root of the disk is protected under UAC so you might need to verify that you aren't getting a problem from that.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant, SQLSkills.com
    SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author of Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
    Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter. Become a SQLskills Insider!
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Saturday, May 05, 2012 12:42 AM
  • SQLWriter fails at PostRestore. <FAILED_AT_POST_RESTORE(0x800423f4 - VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE)>. SQLServer has all the rights to the root drive.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create database DB (E:\DB.mdf, E:\DB.ldf)

2. Perform full VSS backup.

3. Delete database DB.

4. Run restore DB to new target with AddNewTarget (move E:\DB.mdf => C:\SomeFolder\DB.mdf, E:\DB.ldf => C:\SomeFolder\DB.ldf)

5. Restore fails at PostRestore.

In the SQL Server profiler I see that the SQLWriter still uses the old path to recovery. E:\DB.mdf instead C:\SomeFolder\DB.mdf. He looks for a file E:\DB.mdf.

Monday, May 07, 2012 5:44 AM