none
SQL 2012 installation on VMWARE

Question

• Hi,

I am installing SQL 2012 on a VM(Vmware ESXi 5.1.0, 838463). this is my disk setup

OS Disk

Program Disk

Data Disk 

Log Disk

When I install the sql installation on the program drive and point the data and log directories to the relevant disk I keep getting a error

It keeps failing on "SqlEngineDBstartConfigAction_install_configrc_Cpu64

If I remove the data and log drives the installation succeeds on the program drive.

Is there a limitation on the number of drives that SQL 2012 can "see" or is there a problem pointing the data and log files to any other drives then the one it has been installed in?

Any help would be appreciatted

Friday, November 09, 2012 11:12 AM

Answers

• I've been having a very similar issue to yours (perhaps the same?) for a while. I've been trying off and on to setup a dev environment with different partitions for the database and transaction log files (D for logs, E for databases) and i've had the same error time after time unless I choose to install on the C partition.

After digging through the event viewer under windows logs-> system I saw several error entries to this effect: 

The SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service failed to start due to the following error: 
    Access is denied.

Which is obviously due to some kind of permissions issue. I tried adding "everyone" to permissions for the entirety of my D: and E: and forcing inherited permissions for child objects to troubleshoot and it did not help. I fixed it by changing all of the sql server services to log on as Local System (Which i'm sure is normally a security issue, but this is just a test machine for now)

In any event, it is possible that a proper solution is in this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldatabaseengine/thread/9491222e-a4b9-4d51-a453-68cc69cba304

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:44 PM

All replies

• check & share the installation summary logs.

Are you having local admin rights to install SQL Server ?

Right click on setup.exe & run as administrator to start installation.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 09, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

I am running as admin also installing with the administrator account, when I remove the two presented dirves and install only to c: or D: it installs without any errors, when I try to point the data and logs to a different drive the installation fails

this is the summary

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Failed: see details below
      Exit code (Decimal):           -2146232832
      Start time:                    2012-11-09 12:30:48
      End time:                      2012-11-09 16:30:44
      Requested action:              Install

Setup completed with required actions for features.
    Troubleshooting information for those features:
      Next step for RS:              Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for SQLEngine:       Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for DQ:              Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for FullText:        Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for Replication:     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for IS:              Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for AS:              Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  SQL02
      Machine processor count:       2
      OS version:                    Future Windows Version
      OS service pack:               
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          64 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered 

Package properties:
      Description:                   Microsoft SQL Server 2012 
      ProductName:                   SQL Server 2012
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       11
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation location:         R:\x64\setup\
      Installation edition:          Evaluation

Product Update Status:
      None discovered.

User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        Install
      ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN:      false
      AGTSVCACCOUNT:                 NT Service\SQLSERVERAGENT
      AGTSVCPASSWORD:                *****
      AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Automatic
      ASBACKUPDIR:                   E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Backup
      ASCOLLATION:                   Latin1_General_CI_AS
      ASCONFIGDIR:                   D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Config
      ASDATADIR:                     E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data
      ASLOGDIR:                      L:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Log
      ASPROVIDERMSOLAP:              1
      ASSERVERMODE:                  MULTIDIMENSIONAL
      ASSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService
      ASSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      ASSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS:            BUILTIN\Administrators
      ASTEMPDIR:                     E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Temp
      BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE:         Disabled
      CLTCTLRNAME:                   <empty>
      CLTRESULTDIR:                  <empty>
      CLTSTARTUPTYPE:                0
      CLTSVCACCOUNT:                 <empty>
      CLTSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      CLTWORKINGDIR:                 <empty>
      COMMFABRICENCRYPTION:          0
      COMMFABRICNETWORKLEVEL:        0
      COMMFABRICPORT:                0
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:             C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20121109_122737\ConfigurationFile.ini
      CTLRSTARTUPTYPE:               0
      CTLRSVCACCOUNT:                <empty>
      CTLRSVCPASSWORD:               <empty>
      CTLRUSERS:                     <empty>
      ENABLERANU:                    false
      ENU:                           true
      ERRORREPORTING:                false
      FEATURES:                      SQLENGINE, REPLICATION, FULLTEXT, DQ, AS, RS, RS_SHP, RS_SHPWFE, DQC, BIDS, CONN, IS, BC, SDK, SSMS, ADV_SSMS, SNAC_SDK, MDS
      FILESTREAMLEVEL:               0
      FILESTREAMSHARENAME:           <empty>
      FTSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\MSSQLFDLauncher
      FTSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      HELP:                          false
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              false
      INSTALLSHAREDDIR:              D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR:           D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSQLDATADIR:             <empty>
      INSTANCEDIR:                   D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTANCEID:                    MSSQLSERVER
      INSTANCENAME:                  MSSQLSERVER
      ISSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\MsDtsServer110
      ISSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      MATRIXCMBRICKCOMMPORT:         0
      MATRIXCMSERVERNAME:            <empty>
      MATRIXNAME:                    <empty>
      NPENABLED:                     0
      PID:                           *****
      QUIET:                         false
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   false
      ROLE:                          <empty>
      RSINSTALLMODE:                 DefaultNativeMode
      RSSHPINSTALLMODE:              SharePointFilesOnlyMode
      RSSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\ReportServer
      RSSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      RSSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      SAPWD:                         *****
      SECURITYMODE:                  SQL
      SQLBACKUPDIR:                  E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup
      SQLCOLLATION:                  SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
      SQLSVCACCOUNT:                 NT Service\MSSQLSERVER
      SQLSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Automatic
      SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS:           BUILTIN\Administrators
      SQLTEMPDBDIR:                  E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data
      SQLTEMPDBLOGDIR:               L:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data
      SQLUSERDBDIR:                  E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data
      SQLUSERDBLOGDIR:               L:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data
      SQMREPORTING:                  false
      TCPENABLED:                    1
      UIMODE:                        Normal
      UpdateEnabled:                 true
      UpdateSource:                  MU
      X86:                           false

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20121109_122737\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:
      Feature:                       Management Tools - Complete

Feature:                       Client Tools Connectivity

Feature:                       Client Tools SDK

Feature:                       Client Tools Backwards Compatibility

Feature:                       Management Tools - Basic

Feature:                       SQL Server Data Tools

Feature:                       Reporting Services - Native
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Component error code:          0x851A0018
      Error description:             Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=11.0.2100.60&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4024&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4024

Feature:                       Database Engine Services
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Error description:             Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=11.0.2100.60&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4024&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4024

Feature:                       Data Quality Services
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.

Feature:                       Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search

Feature:                       SQL Server Replication

Feature:                       Master Data Services

Feature:                       Integration Services
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
      Component name:                SQL Server Integration Services
      Component error code:          0x84BB0001
      Error description:             Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=11.0.2100.60&EvtType=0xDC112D1C%400xBB814387&EvtType=0xDC112D1C%400xBB814387

Feature:                       Data Quality Client

Feature:                       Analysis Services
      Component name:                SQL Server Analysis Services
      Component error code:          0x80131600
      Error description:             The service could not be started. Reason:  Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=11.0.2100.60&EvtType=0x88A466B0%400x857354B0&EvtType=0x88A466B0%400x857354B0

Feature:                       Reporting Services - SharePoint

Feature:                       Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint Products

Feature:                       SQL Browser

Feature:                       SQL Writer

Feature:                       SQL Client Connectivity

Feature:                       SQL Client Connectivity SDK

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20121109_122737\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Friday, November 09, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Did you see any errors/warnings for other drives in the system eventlogs?

see you have the proper accesses on the drives...

Thanks, Rama Udaya.K "“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ― Mae West". ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and UN-mark them if they provide no help,Vote if they gives you information.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:42 AM
  • it seems yours drives other than C&D is not having proper access rights. Check the access rights & try again.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thats what I thought initially, but If I remove the data and log drives and do the installation only on D(program) drive the installation succeeds same permissions on all the drives.  I have moved the storage to a different SAN but still I get the error?

Thanks

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:54 AM
  • I've been having a very similar issue to yours (perhaps the same?) for a while. I've been trying off and on to setup a dev environment with different partitions for the database and transaction log files (D for logs, E for databases) and i've had the same error time after time unless I choose to install on the C partition.

After digging through the event viewer under windows logs-> system I saw several error entries to this effect: 

The SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service failed to start due to the following error: 
    Access is denied.

Which is obviously due to some kind of permissions issue. I tried adding "everyone" to permissions for the entirety of my D: and E: and forcing inherited permissions for child objects to troubleshoot and it did not help. I fixed it by changing all of the sql server services to log on as Local System (Which i'm sure is normally a security issue, but this is just a test machine for now)

In any event, it is possible that a proper solution is in this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldatabaseengine/thread/9491222e-a4b9-4d51-a453-68cc69cba304

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:44 PM
  • What if one isn't allowed to run SQL as SYSTEM,  what is the solution then?
    Friday, March 08, 2013 7:53 PM
  • I had this issue and had to change the VMWare config,

There is a known issue when trying to perform a Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (Standard or Enterprise) Installation on a VMware vSphere Virtual Machine, running on VMware vSphere ESXi 5.x, Can Only Install to the “C:” Drive and the instance will be unable to “see” the non-C: drives.

The issue can occur on both Windows 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 based Virtual Machines.

The workaround is to disable the vSphere HotAdd/HotPlug capability for the Virtual Machine:

To disable HotPlug capability using the vSphere Client:

1. Connect to the ESXi/ESX host or vCenter Server using the vSphere Client.
    2. Power off the virtual machine.
    3. Right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
    4. Click the Options tab.
    5. Click General > Configuration Parameters > Add Row.
    6. Insert a new row with the name devices.hotplug and a value of false.
    7. Power on the virtual machine

Link to artical

Monday, April 29, 2013 5:15 PM
  • thank you so much..the vmware trick worked perfectly
    Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:12 AM