none
Security trimming of the data

Question

• I am trying to use Power Pivot for a client's adhoc reporting needs for a SQL based forms authentication application hosted in layouts folder. Now how can make the data be trimmed for the user who is logged in? For example if I am west coast user,  I should be able to see only west coast data.

Thanks.

Dheepa
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:39 PM

All replies

• Any type of security level trimming would have to be built a layer on top of AS. The current PowerPivot security model is, for ease of use, built on the SharePoint security model and SharePoint's security model is that you can either access a file or you can't. Hence for the current release, you cannot get this functionality out-of-the-box. If you have a limited set of cases, you could build your own web-service (or something like that) which fronts the PowerPivot workbook and generate the MDX based on the connected user. PowerPivot workbooks can be accessed directly as datasources by simply specifying the URL as the server. This would help you for limited cases. Completely ad-hoc, this would be much more difficult.

We are considering this feature for future releases but I cannot tell you any plans at the moment

Thansk
    Lee

Lee Graber
    • Proposed as answer by Dan EnglishMVP Sunday, September 12, 2010 1:04 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 3:20 PM