none
How to uninstall SQL Server 2008?

Question

• Hi as fas as I know I haven't installed SQL Server 2008, as far as I know I installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. But I can see in list of installed programs that there is listed a "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)"?

Anyway recently I got this error message when I tried to launch the Import and Export Data wizard, but got this error message:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please
     see the application event log or use the command-line sxtrace.exe tool for more detail.

Then I decided to repair my installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, but the repair process failed. The I tried to uninstall SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, I think that succeded, then I tried to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (64-bit), but that failed.

Now absolutely nothing is working, but I still have some SQL Server 2008 things installed, I don't know what to do?

I have uploaded a screenshot of the SQL Server 2008 programs I have installed on my computer.

I have also uploaded the Summary log files for the 2 times I have unsuccesfully tried to uninstall SQL Server 2008 R2 (64 bit).

It can be seen here: https://skydrive.live.com/P.mvc#!/?cid=159250f5ce7fe134&sc=documents&uc=1&id=159250F5CE7FE134%21102

What shall I do to again have an instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express I can work with on my computer?

Please note that my computer skills are somewhat limited. My computer is new and fast and has a good memory and storage.

rune007
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Siva1983

Thank you for your response.

I tried a couple of times to delete the SQL Server files, but I couldn't because the system said that the SQL Server was running, eventhough it was not.

Well nothing worked, so now I am doing a total re-install of everything on my computer, erasing everything!

Sorry to have caused you to spend time on my stupid problem.

And thank you again for your concern!

rune007
    • Marked as answer by rune007 Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:25 PM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems your shared files already got disturbed ,You can try below solution if it is your local machine

If uninstaller is not working then ,we have to manually remove SQL 2008 from machine.

Delete  SQL Server folder manually from program files

Take your registry backup and proceed with below step

If you are new to registry refer this link http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

Run>>Regedit>>Search for SQL Server keys and remove one by one

Once again perform this with caution ,because you are touching heart of OS.Since it is local machine you can try as a last trail.

Sivaprasad.L Together We can Achieve
    Friday, July 15, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hi Siva1983

Thank you for your response.

I tried a couple of times to delete the SQL Server files, but I couldn't because the system said that the SQL Server was running, eventhough it was not.

Well nothing worked, so now I am doing a total re-install of everything on my computer, erasing everything!

Sorry to have caused you to spend time on my stupid problem.

And thank you again for your concern!

rune007
    • Marked as answer by rune007 Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:25 PM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:24 PM