none
SSRS 2008 Keep Group together not working

Question

• I have a  SSRS 2008 report with several groups, but can seem to get the report not to break in the middle of a group even when I set the property to keep together on the advanced mode.  Any suggestions.

report looks like

grp1

grp2

grp3  

grp4

details  -- this is suppressed

subtot grp1

subtot grp2

------This is where I'm getting a page break, I've set the properties in grp3 to keep together, but they don't stay together

subtot grp3

subtot grp4

Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi zipcat,

Could you please give a quick feedback or confirmation based on Paul Turley’s professional recommendation? If you only want to show the entire contents of the report on a page, please follow the steps as below,

1. Select Report from the drop-down list in Properties window.

2. Expend InteractiveSize node, alter the Height as “0”.

Then you will find all the contents of the report are shown on a page.

For more information, please see:

Defining Page Size and Page Breaks in a Report (Visual Studio Report Designer): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251701(v=VS.90).aspx

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Eileen Zhao

• Marked as answer by zipcat Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:56 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:48 AM
  • From your row/group list, two things are suspect: 

1. the details are "supressed"
    2. The subtotals appear in the same order as the headers.  Normally, they would be in reverse order (i.e. Grp1 header, Grp2 header, Grp3 header, Detail, Grp3 footer, Grp2 footer, Grp1 footer)

When you say that the datail rows are supressed, what does this mean, exactly? 

Is this report using a table for grouping the data, rather than a matrix?

If you are hiding the detail row, it's possible that the keep-together logic is somehow affected by this.  As a test, I would recommend that you make a copy of your report.  In the test copy, change the dataset query to group and aggregate values for your inner group.  Remove the inner table row group and add the header and footer values to detail rows.

Paul Turley, MVP [Hitachi Consulting] SQLServerBIBlog.com *Please vote if helpful*
    • Marked as answer by zipcat Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:58 PM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 7:38 AM

All replies

• From your row/group list, two things are suspect: 

1. the details are "supressed"
    2. The subtotals appear in the same order as the headers.  Normally, they would be in reverse order (i.e. Grp1 header, Grp2 header, Grp3 header, Detail, Grp3 footer, Grp2 footer, Grp1 footer)

When you say that the datail rows are supressed, what does this mean, exactly? 

Is this report using a table for grouping the data, rather than a matrix?

If you are hiding the detail row, it's possible that the keep-together logic is somehow affected by this.  As a test, I would recommend that you make a copy of your report.  In the test copy, change the dataset query to group and aggregate values for your inner group.  Remove the inner table row group and add the header and footer values to detail rows.

Paul Turley, MVP [Hitachi Consulting] SQLServerBIBlog.com *Please vote if helpful*
    • Marked as answer by zipcat Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:58 PM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hi zipcat,

Could you please give a quick feedback or confirmation based on Paul Turley’s professional recommendation? If you only want to show the entire contents of the report on a page, please follow the steps as below,

1. Select Report from the drop-down list in Properties window.

2. Expend InteractiveSize node, alter the Height as “0”.

Then you will find all the contents of the report are shown on a page.

For more information, please see:

Defining Page Size and Page Breaks in a Report (Visual Studio Report Designer): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251701(v=VS.90).aspx

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Eileen Zhao

• Marked as answer by zipcat Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:56 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:48 AM
  • Thank you this was very helpful, I changed my report based upon your suggestion and it is working.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:58 PM
  • ...if this response was helpful then please click the icon above the text "Vote As Helpful"

Thanks

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:23 PM