none
SSRS Map and ESRI shapefile

Question

• Hi,

I've been given an ESRI shapefile which is using planar coordiantes (i.e. NOT long/lat) and I'm wanting to use it in a report

The sharefile is a multipolygon file (representing different county boundries) and as there are a lot of them I would like to use the Viewport "center and zoom" feature to focus on a particular county. I have linked the embedded shapefile spatial data to some analytical data as per the requirements for "center and zoom" to work but whenever I try and specify a value for a match field to zoom on - whether taken from a parameter or hardcoded in the viewport - the map just renders with no image at all.

I've tried a whole host of different formats for the match field values but to no success so I was wondering whether what I was trying to do was actually possible. I can get the functionality to work if I'm using geographic coordinates for my points layer for example so the only real difference I can see is that my spatial data is coming from an ESRI file with planar coordinates.

Any ideas gratefully receive

cheers

Matt
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:51 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the offer Jason but I've asked my client to recreate their ESRI shapefile using geographic co-ordinates and that seemed to do the trick - although I have subsequently seen a planar shapefile with center and zoom funcitonality working so while the problem has gone it doesn't answer the why and I need to press on.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

regs

Mat

• Marked as answer by rogersmatt Monday, March 05, 2012 10:37 AM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 10:37 AM

All replies

• In case you dont get a solution for this, you can just export the shapefile to SQL Server and then use a where condition as given in the blog below

http://road-blogs.blogspot.com/2010/12/drill-down-in-ssrs-map-reports.html

Meanwhile, if you could give me the shapefile, report rdl and the report requirements to jason143@gmail.com, I can take a crack at it.

Cheers,
    Jason
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Some Random Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Thanks for the offer Jason but I've asked my client to recreate their ESRI shapefile using geographic co-ordinates and that seemed to do the trick - although I have subsequently seen a planar shapefile with center and zoom funcitonality working so while the problem has gone it doesn't answer the why and I need to press on.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

regs

Mat

• Marked as answer by rogersmatt Monday, March 05, 2012 10:37 AM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 10:37 AM