none
Failed to retrieve request data for this request (Microsoft.SQLServer.smoEnum)

Question

• When trying to access the SQL Server logs via SMSS, I receive the error failed to retrieve data for this request (Microsoft SQLServer.smoEnum).

The service account for SQL Server is a low end user that belongs to the SQL Server installed group SQLServer2005MSSQLServer$COMPUTNAME$MSSQLServer.  the user also was assigned the Server role SYSADMIN.

The group has full control over the folder hosting the Error Logs and Trace files.

When I add the user to the Administrators local group, I no longer get the error.  We are under a security review and the consulants wants us to run the SQL Server service as a regular user not as a administrator.

What permissions or settings do I need to alter in order to get rid of the error and have a service account user able to access the Error logs and trace files.

Thanks.

Don Jones

• Edited by donsjones Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:19 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:18 PM

Answers

• Problem appears to have been resolved.

It appears that the configuration file: MSDTSSRVR.ini.xml file was corrupted somehow.  When Logging into SSMS, I selected options and select TCP/IP for the protocol (We have disabled named pipes), and I was able to access the SQL Server logs from SSMS. Disconnected and logged back in placing protocol back to default, and I still was able to access the SQL Server Logs from SSMS.

Checking out system now with a reboot to ensure that I am still able to access the SQL Server Logs from SSMS.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:15 PM

All replies

• Make sure the service account has access to the SQL Server folder. Grant to the service account explicitly access to the SQL Server folder.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Thanks for the response, but no go.  Service Account was given full control over the entire SQL Server software folders, and still receive the error.

Don Jones

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Problem appears to have been resolved.

It appears that the configuration file: MSDTSSRVR.ini.xml file was corrupted somehow.  When Logging into SSMS, I selected options and select TCP/IP for the protocol (We have disabled named pipes), and I was able to access the SQL Server logs from SSMS. Disconnected and logged back in placing protocol back to default, and I still was able to access the SQL Server Logs from SSMS.

Checking out system now with a reboot to ensure that I am still able to access the SQL Server Logs from SSMS.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:15 PM