none
migrating data from sql server 2008 to oracle using ssis

Question

• I am using sql server 2008 and need to migrate the entire database to oracle. I am using SSIS to migrate data from sql server to oracle.

I need to know if it is possible to migrate all the tables (i.e) the entire database from sql server to oracle using ssis. If yes then can u guide me the step by step process of how to do this ?

I also want to know if SSIS is the best tool for data migration from sql server to oracle or is there any better way involved.
    • Edited by Iam_Rakesh Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:57 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:53 AM

Answers

• There is no easy way of doing this in SSIS. You would have to goto each table and load the data to Oracle. Keep in mind the constraints to be applied and the data type conversion.

For tables with huge data it would be faster if you use SQL Loader to load the data to Oracle.

My Blog    |      Ask Me     |      SSIS Basics     

• Marked as answer by Iam_Rakesh Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:54 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• It should be possible, but you need to watch out for datatype incompatibilities.

Try the import/export wizard to get a basic package created, and expand where necessary.

MCTS, MCITP - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:59 AM
  • There is no easy way of doing this in SSIS. You would have to goto each table and load the data to Oracle. Keep in mind the constraints to be applied and the data type conversion.

For tables with huge data it would be faster if you use SQL Loader to load the data to Oracle.

My Blog    |      Ask Me     |      SSIS Basics     

• Marked as answer by Iam_Rakesh Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:54 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:21 AM