none
Where is the management Studio for SQL 2008 Express?

Question

•  

Can anyone point me to where I can download the management studio for SQL 2008 Express.

I've downloaded and installed SQL 2008 Express without problem but can't find the management studio.

Help.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:20 PM

Answers

• The 2008 version of the Management Studio is not a stand alone installation and can only be installed as part of the SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools or Advanced installation.

Like many others, I spent countless hours trying to figure out how to install the Management Studio for SQL Server 2008 Express - Advanced installation (same should apply to the w/ Tools version).  What happened in my case was that I installed Visual Studio 2008 Express and during that process a stripped down "Instance" of SQL Server 2008 was installed that did not include the Management Studio.  Through much pain and torture I learned that the Management Studio can only be installed during installation of the first instance. To delete that first instance, you must go to "Add or Remove Programs" and remove "Microsoft SQL Server 2008".  The removal process will only remove one instance at a time and if you have installed more than one instance you need to keep going until all instances have been removed and the application completely disappears from the Add or Remove Programs" dialog.  Note: You do not need to uninstall any of the other SQL Server 2008 applications that also appear in the "Add or Remove Programs" dialog.  Then go back through the install process as follows: Double click on SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe to load the SQL Server Installation Center and then go to Installation > New SQL Server stand-alone installation.  Then proceed through all of the installation steps until you get to “Feature Selection” and click on “Select All” to toggle on all of the Shared Features, which should include Management Tools - Basic.Continue the process from there and you should be good to go.  Hopefully this will help others to avoid much of the pain that many of us have already experienced.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:57 AM
  • Check out the November CTP information in the blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2007/11/19/what-s-new-in-sql-express-2008-november-ctp.aspx) and linked to from the top of the forum, which answers this question.

Regards,

Mike Wachal

SQL Express team

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:35 PM

All replies

• Check out the November CTP information in the blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2007/11/19/what-s-new-in-sql-express-2008-november-ctp.aspx) and linked to from the top of the forum, which answers this question.

Regards,

Mike Wachal

SQL Express team

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:35 PM
  • Sorry to follow up on such an old post but TechNet download is the SQL Express 2005 version, which complains that it is not intended to conenct to SQL Express 2008 (or rather only to 2000 and 2005 versions).

...or have I followed the wrong trail.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 4:02 PM
  • I am having an incredibly hard time locating the Management Studio tools for SQL Express 2008. I downloaded and installed the Visual Studio Express 2008 Bundle(including C# C++ Basic and Web Dev), and do not know where/how to find the tools. I tried to download and install the SQL Express with Advanced Options, but it gave me an error that it "was not a Win32 application". I just completed an "Edition Upgrade" which I had hoped would solve the issue, but I am still lost. Here is what the tutorial I am working through tells me where to find them "Start > All Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Management Studio Express". Granted that this tutorial was written for the '05 version, but shouldn't it follow with the '08 version? HELP!

Marc

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:49 AM
  • I found the fix to this issue in another thread. Unfortunately, I had to dig around for a total of 4 hours before arriving at such a simple solution. As a measure of goodwill to those experiencing these same problems, here is the fix:

http://www.asql.biz/Articoli/SQLX08/Art1_2.aspx

Follow these procedures and SSMSE will be up and running. Best of luck to you all!

• Proposed as answer by hooyes Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 2:15 PM
  • The 2008 version of the Management Studio is not a stand alone installation and can only be installed as part of the SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools or Advanced installation.

Like many others, I spent countless hours trying to figure out how to install the Management Studio for SQL Server 2008 Express - Advanced installation (same should apply to the w/ Tools version).  What happened in my case was that I installed Visual Studio 2008 Express and during that process a stripped down "Instance" of SQL Server 2008 was installed that did not include the Management Studio.  Through much pain and torture I learned that the Management Studio can only be installed during installation of the first instance. To delete that first instance, you must go to "Add or Remove Programs" and remove "Microsoft SQL Server 2008".  The removal process will only remove one instance at a time and if you have installed more than one instance you need to keep going until all instances have been removed and the application completely disappears from the Add or Remove Programs" dialog.  Note: You do not need to uninstall any of the other SQL Server 2008 applications that also appear in the "Add or Remove Programs" dialog.  Then go back through the install process as follows: Double click on SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe to load the SQL Server Installation Center and then go to Installation > New SQL Server stand-alone installation.  Then proceed through all of the installation steps until you get to “Feature Selection” and click on “Select All” to toggle on all of the Shared Features, which should include Management Tools - Basic.Continue the process from there and you should be good to go.  Hopefully this will help others to avoid much of the pain that many of us have already experienced.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:57 AM
  • Paradox1 said:

The 2008 version of the Management Studio is not a stand alone installation and can only be installed as part of the SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools or Advanced installation.

• Proposed as answer by hooyes Friday, March 27, 2009 11:03 AM
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:30 AM
  • Thanks for this post.  I hope the Microsoft team is suitably embarassed at their pathetic install process. 
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:08 PM
  • That is a joke. WTF? I'll have to install everything again. Not big deal, but that is so dumb. The installation is worse than the first versions of PHP APACHE.

How about just next next - select location - BANG! It goes to Start Menu and makes our lives easier.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 11:44 PM
  • No, you don't have to install everything again. The information from Paradox is incorrect. You do need to download Express with Tools or Express with Advanced Services, but you can install only Management Studio by performing an Edition Upgrade, no uninstall necesary.

I've posted instructions on how to do an Edition Upgrade on the blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2008/08/24/faq-switching-between-sql-server-2008-edtions.aspx.

Regards,
    Mike
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Well Mr. Mike Wachal... I tried your method and it didn't work... definitively Microsoft Installers are crappy... especially this one.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Hi alejosoft,

A new, stand-alone installer has been made available for Management Studio 2008 that might be easier for you to use. You can find the stand-alone installer from the download site at http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download. Look for the direct link to Management Studio 2008 Express to get that package.

Be sure to select the option to install a new instance when given the choice.

Regards,
    Mike
    If this post answers your question, please mark it as an Answer - it will help others searching the forum. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by FooManChew Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:29 PM
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 1:25 AM
  • When I tried to use web platform, I am getting the following error:

sql server 2008 management studio express is incompatible with microsoft sql server 2005 management studio express

Overall, the installation process is really an embarrassment for Microsoft product. 
    Friday, March 19, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Got to say thanks for the pointers in this thread. This has been one of the biggest wastes of my time and I am even including reading the register on this one :) Really is a poor install to make this so counter intuitive.

I found the instructions on this link below did the job for me.

http://www.asql.biz/Articoli/SQLX08/Art3_1.aspx

but even this does not make to much sense :) the instructions do but as you are going through it you will know what I mean .....

Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Got to say thanks for the pointers in this thread. This has been one of the biggest wastes of my time and I am even including reading the register on this one :) Really is a poor install to make this so counter intuitive.

I found the instructions on this link below did the job for me.

http://www.asql.biz/Articoli/SQLX08/Art3_1.aspx

but even this does not make to much sense :) the instructions do but as you are going through it you will know what I mean .....

i agree with everyone who has bashed microsoft on its crapulent install. whoever designed the relationship between sql server engine and the ssms should be fired. most users i know require ssms so it should not be a hidden phantom and require a secret handshake to install....i wasted lots of time on this one.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:15 PM
  • This is much simpler now, for anyone who finds this thread high up on Google, like I did:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Database/InstallOptions.aspx

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:25 PM
  • you guys are spot on about the screwed up install process for this, especially if you already have SQL express installed.
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:03 AM
  • I found the fix to this issue in another thread. Unfortunately, I had to dig around for a total of 4 hours before arriving at such a simple solution. As a measure of goodwill to those experiencing these same problems, here is the fix:

http://www.asql.biz/Articoli/SQLX08/Art1_2.aspx

Follow these procedures and SSMSE will be up and running. Best of luck to you all!

I know this is nearly two years later, but Google pulled up your forum post and saved me!  Got MS SQL Server Mgmt Studio installed and working thanks to you.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Dear Paradox1,

After 2 years (now = 2010) your story/advice is still accurate ! :)

Like many others, I spent countless hours trying to figure out how to install the Management Studio for SQL Server 2008 Express...

Thank you (for saving me from destroying my pc with a hammer) !

Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Hi guys, can I know where can I download "windows powershell" for this SQL server 2008 installation. What version that is needed?

if possible I dont want to have to do the "genuine Windows validation".

Please give me the links.. I have a very hard time to do this installation... Please do help me T_T

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Hey Dark Silver... Just ran into ur post... you might have already found it... or realized you don't need it... anyways...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968930/en-us

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Thank you so much! Spent 4 hours yesterday with our outsourced support with no end in sight. Followed your instructions today - uninstalled SS2008 instance, installed Express with Tools, took less than 3 hours and I am in!!

All your instructions are still good.

Galina

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:25 PM
  • thumbs up for Paradox, this is like the third time i came back to this post(stupid me always forget)every time i try to install ssms in a new pc.  3 years has pass since sql server 2008 came out, even with the new r2 and sp1 release, the ssms installation is still a big f.up. Microsoft need to put this post on the top of there sql server download page.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:25 PM
  • thumbs up for Paradox, this is like the third time i came back to this post(stupid me always forget)every time i try to install ssms in a new pc.  3 years has pass since sql server 2008 came out, even with the new r2 and sp1 release, the ssms installation is still a big f.up. Microsoft need to put this post on the top of there sql server download page.
    indeed
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Thanks Paradox1,

This sorted out my long-standing woes!

Isn't it amazing how this ridiculous scheme of install has been carrying on since 2008, and perhaps even earlier?

Regards

Huze

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hi all,

Just do a install of a new SQL 2008 express environment during the setup fase and you can select the management utils. The existing SQL instances will still be there.

Regards Herbert

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:38 AM
  • AHHH, software frustration is truly timeless.

From amidst the Morlock and the screaming Eloi, I note this ancient blog post as of most benefit to myself:

The Beth Massi Rescue

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 3:05 AM
  • I didn't have to remove the old instance. In the Installation Center the Stand alone option also says "add new features" to existing install. I just clicked on that and followed the screens. Management Studio is up & running.
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:18 AM
  • I got into that same situation but had it resolved much easier.

I was trying to install Management Studio, and was getting error 0x876E0003, so spent hours resolving this issue as well.

Resolution was simple, go to Controll Panel--> Add/remove programs--> Microsoft SQL Server 2008--> Uninstall/Change. A SQL installation center window will popup, here you click on ADD, browse for installation file, click Ok, go through installtion process with Management Studion choosen, and you'll have it installed.

Taras1234567

• Proposed as answer by Taras1234567 Monday, February 10, 2014 6:51 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 6:51 PM