none
Upgrading SQl with mirroring

Question

•  

I am really new to SQL and have been put in charge of servers they run on as well as the SQL software updates.  I need to update our software from 2008 r2 to 2008 r2 sp1 as well as the SQL 2008 r2 RTM to the latest updates. All of the databases are in synchronous mirroring with manual failover and we have not had a successful failover yet.  I have been told updating the software will solve some of our issues with this.  My question is if I Upgrade the mirror to server 2008 SP2 and SQl2008 r2 sp1 the try the failover will I be able to failback to the other server that is 2008 r2 SQL 2008 r2 RTM?  I am in an environment where the servers cannot be down.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Having different versions of SQL Server participating in mirroring is only supported during a rolling upgrade.  As you suggested, you upgrade/patch the mirror first, failover to it, patch the old principal and re-initialise mirroring and failback.  I don't believe you are able to mirror from a higher to lower version, only lower to higher.

What's gone wrong with your failover previously?

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

• Marked as answer by Tikk Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:11 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Having different versions of SQL Server participating in mirroring is only supported during a rolling upgrade.  As you suggested, you upgrade/patch the mirror first, failover to it, patch the old principal and re-initialise mirroring and failback.  I don't believe you are able to mirror from a higher to lower version, only lower to higher.

What's gone wrong with your failover previously?

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

• Marked as answer by Tikk Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:11 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:45 PM
  • We  are having issues with the apps authenticating right.  We are using SQL authentication and I did find one issue where the SID's were not matching on the two servers. I have since fixed that issue, but I also see that we do not have the same linked servers on the mirror.  What kind of issues would this bring?  I do not know off hand if the linked servers are accually doing something or if it was from an older setup and they are no longer in use.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

Not knowing your applications, I couldn't tell you what problems the differences between linked server configuration might bring.  They're set-up independently of mirroring, so you'll have to investigate what might be using them.

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:51 PM
  • ok thanks for the answer on upgrading with the mirrors
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:11 PM