none
SQL Server Upgrade Assistant Error

Question

• SQL 2000 SP4 Upgrade to SQL 2008 R2

When using SQL Server Upgrade Assistance and I have the baseline server setup in a SQL 2000 environment I try to run the trace replay.  As soon as I click "Replace Trace" button I get the error "Failed to initialize object as reader".  I assume that this tool is having problems spawning some SQL Profiler sessions.  Did anyone have a work-a-round for this issue.  The SQL Profiler tool works fine when running from Enterprise Manager.

Thanks in Advance...Heier

Monday, November 22, 2010 9:14 PM

All replies

• Did you install the SQL Server 2008 client components on that machine?

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:36 PM
  • I am also getting the same error when setup base line (step 2).  The error said by "Joe Yong" did not  have chance to get. becuase 2008 client component is a prerequisite to install "Upgrade Assistant". Please help us to fix "Object reference not set to instance of an object" Error.

Thanks, - Kumar

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:30 PM
  • The user running Upgrade Assistant must have administrator privileges on the test environment computers and related SQL Server instances. Make sure that the BUILTIN\Administrators Windows login is part of the SQL Server sysadmin server role. 
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Yes I am part of BUILTIN\Administrator group and BUILTIN\Administrator has mapped with sysadmin server role in both the instances.

Is there anyother thing to take care to resolve this issue.

Thanks, -Kumar

Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:15 PM
  • please check out the below link, it may help you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/user/settings.aspx?ReturnUrl=%252fwiki%252fcontents%252farticles%252f2558.upgrade-assistant-tool-for-sql-server-2012.aspx

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 10:50 AM