none
SSRS ReportServerStorageException - timeout period elapsed, Error in timer Database Cleanup (NT Service)

Question

• Error message:
    e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database., ;
    runningjobs!WindowsService_5!9ec!07/09/2009-09:28:47:: e ERROR: Error in timer Database Cleanup (NT Service) : Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

I tried all the possible options.   Any idea to resolve this issue ?

Thanks,
    --- Khan
    • Edited by Khan2020 Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:09 PM NA
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Khan,

The understanding from the error log is limited. Could you please elaborate a bit more about when the error occurred?

Anyway, based on my experience, the error should occur while executing large report. And an out of memory error would be occurred.

If we have found any outofmemory error in the logs, we can use the following KB to solve the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909678

If the KB above does not help, could you please help to provide the following information?

1.       Does the disk have enough space for storing the database?

2.       How many records did the report render?

3.       Any out of memory error in the logs?

4.       Any errors in System event viewer?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Hi Khan,

Another question, does the Reporting Services running in Scale-out deployment with Microsoft Network Load Brance(NLB)?

If so, ViewState might very well be causing this issue. Especially since you encounter problems with the 2 nodes at the same time.

To solve the issue, please configure View State Validation
    To complete scale-out deployment, you must edit configuration files to enable viewstate for interactive HTML reports that are viewed in Report Manager.

Here is more information on how to configure view state validation:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281307.aspx

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Basically the I am running SSRS report in PrintLayOut Mode which is processing large image file due to large amount of data.
    SSRS Engine can not handle large image files.
    We can not do anything further.

• Marked as answer by Khan2020 Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:16 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:16 PM

All replies

• None

• Marked as answer by Khan2020 Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Khan2020 Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:11 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Hi Khan,

The understanding from the error log is limited. Could you please elaborate a bit more about when the error occurred?

Anyway, based on my experience, the error should occur while executing large report. And an out of memory error would be occurred.

If we have found any outofmemory error in the logs, we can use the following KB to solve the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909678

If the KB above does not help, could you please help to provide the following information?

1.       Does the disk have enough space for storing the database?

2.       How many records did the report render?

3.       Any out of memory error in the logs?

4.       Any errors in System event viewer?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Hi Khan,

Another question, does the Reporting Services running in Scale-out deployment with Microsoft Network Load Brance(NLB)?

If so, ViewState might very well be causing this issue. Especially since you encounter problems with the 2 nodes at the same time.

To solve the issue, please configure View State Validation
    To complete scale-out deployment, you must edit configuration files to enable viewstate for interactive HTML reports that are viewed in Report Manager.

Here is more information on how to configure view state validation:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281307.aspx

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Basically the I am running SSRS report in PrintLayOut Mode which is processing large image file due to large amount of data.
    SSRS Engine can not handle large image files.
    We can not do anything further.

• Marked as answer by Khan2020 Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:16 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:16 PM