none
PowerPivot for Sharepoint without Excel?

Question

• Greetings. I have some experience with Analysis Service (not an expert by any means), but am wanting to explore PowerPivot. My initial understanding was that I would utilize/ save PP in Excel, then publish it to a sharePoint site. Then I stumbled onto this excellent article which answered some questions, and raised others.

If I'm understanding the article matrix correctly, PP in sharePoint can somewhat bypass PP in Excel, is this correct? That Excel Services need to be installed in SP, but effectively users will no longer be saving the data to local files, but instead to an Analysis Services instance. That doing this AS method provides some additional functionality that cant be found by completely utilizing Excel.

I have about 24 hours experience with even researching PP, so please be gentle.

TIA, ChrisRDBA

Friday, May 18, 2012 10:01 PM

Answers

• You require Excel to design PowerPivot, then you can host them in SharePoint (you need SharePoint 2010 Enterprise & SQL Server 2012 BI or Enterprise Edition).

You can use Analysis Services as a source for PowerPivot Reports. PowerPivot is a reporting tool.

• Proposed as answer by Astrit Ramadani Saturday, May 19, 2012 9:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by ChrisRDBA Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:43 PM
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:50 PM