none
Trouble importing data from Iseries into sql 2008r2

Question

• I am trying to import data from an Iseries table into a SQL table. I have linked servers setup and working, at least they connect.

It seems that something is not quite right with it because we are getting errors on some tables and not sure why.

When trying to do a manual import, I can see the tables on the Iseries and I can tell it to bring the table into a specific database, but when I look at the column mappings, the type on all fields is set to -1.  What am i doing wrong.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

ISeries = IBM AS400 + RPG + Java ?

What is the kind of database ( DB2 ? ) you are trying to link with SQL Server ?

We are waiting for your feedback to try to help you more efficiently.

Have a nice day

PS : I have only found 1 link about ISeries

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/access/ 

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:59 PM
  • It is an IBM AS400 box and the it is a DB2.

In the SQL 2008R2 server I am using the three providers that came with SQL,  IBMDA400, IBMDARLA and IBMDASQL.  It sees the tables no problem but when I try to bring the data over, it is like SQL can not distinguish the data types of the fields. 

If I do a script as on one of the tables and say insert into, everything appears as text even though I know a lot of the fields are numbers.  In SQL 2000 this is not but we have never used linked servers before.

Just wondering if I am doing something wrong or I am missing something.  For the provider string on the linked table, I am only using user id, password and default collection.

Am I missing something

Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:02 PM