none
SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition Setup Error Failure to calc def value of setting INSTANCEID

Question

• i trying to install a new copy of SQL Server 2012 Developer stand allone and keep getting the error noted in the question above

currently running win 7 SP1 64bit and no know problems.  i tried with both the firewall up and down with same results

nothing comes up in the initial review of hardware etc w/o any errors or problems noted. this happens after i put in the lic and the install started. 

once the message shows it stops the install

the error code is 0x6854001. and have not been able to find anything on the net with 2012 that references that number

tks in advance

Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:58 PM

Answers

• No I don't think you need to un-install

on thing you could also try as last option is installing in 32 bit mode

setup.exe /Action=Install /x86 

Run from command prompt as administrator.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by qcx2987 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:36 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:24 AM

All replies

• HI qcx !

You might need to have a look at below MSDN article;

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702.aspx

Log fileis located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\.

To find errors in the summary text file, search the file by using the "error" or "failed" keywords.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646006.aspx

Please let me know if this helps. Hopefully i have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:13 PM
  • tks niaz, at least a place to start
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:26 PM
  • here's what i found so far

Log fileis located at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\.

To find errors in the summary text file, search the file by using the "error" or "failed" keywords.

the directory only goes down to the \110  no \setup bootstrap directory and when i run the

Setup.exe /q /ACTION=Repair /INSTANCENAME=instancename

in a dos window i get setup.exe is not recogized

Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:55 PM
  • HI qcx !

Most probably your setup file is got corrupted somehow. Try to get a fresh copy of "Setup.exe" and have a fresh install.

Please let me know if this helps. Hopefully i have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:02 PM
  • here's a copy of the summary i found in the log directory

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39736597/Summary.txt

there are 6 directors in the log directory.  numbers like these

20120811_200950  three with 11 and two with 12.  should i just del everything including the sql server directory in the program files.  also some directories were created in the (x86) program files as well

Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Seems like corrupted setup media can you try the following

1. Copy the whole content of DVD to local drive nad run setup from local drive
    2. If 1 doesn't , try re-downloading SQL Setup again.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:16 PM
  • well not good news to report.  after deleting all the sql files and directories

the setup starts, and runs up to the point that you enter the s/n, that appears to pass fine and than setup starts to run twice, but than quits and goes back to the

SQL Server Installation Center

must of deleted something i should not have

Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Seems like corrupted setup media can you try the following

1. Copy the whole content of DVD to local drive nad run setup from local drive
    2. If 1 doesn't , try re-downloading SQL Setup again.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

did your 1st suggestion, same results.  setup stops after putting in lic and accepting the conditions.  will look for d/l site of  your suggestion 2.  my copy is brand new and just received from amazon
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:47 PM
  • i cant find a location that has the developer edition that i have, please advise

tks

Monday, August 13, 2012 12:29 AM
  • You can download enterprise evaluation version and use the pid from the DVD you have.

To download SQL server 2012 enterprise evaluation

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29066

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012 7:14 AM
  • You can download enterprise evaluation version and use the pid from the DVD you have.

To download SQL server 2012 enterprise evaluation

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29066

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

i only have a lic for the developer edition.  so how will i be able to get it to work.  especially if i take the time and get it setup i sure dont want to have to start all over again

tks

Monday, August 13, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Just run setup from the downloaded enterprise evaluation and in product key dialog enter the developer edition product key you have from Developer DVD.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Just run setup from the downloaded enterprise evaluation and in product key dialog enter the developer edition product key you have from Developer DVD.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

i have d/l the iso, but having so issues with Virtual CloneDrive but still need to keep my business up and running while i work thru these problems.  will advise when i have some progress to report

tks ahmed

Monday, August 13, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Quick update.  setup started and ran find found no errors,

what i selected was the 1st item in the Installation screen:

New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to and existing installation

it started to run and go to the scree when i either selected an evaluation or enter product key, in which i selected the enter key.  it accepted that fine and asked to accept lic which i did along with the send report to microsoft.  that appeared to work fine the setup screen popped up a couple of time and than it just stopped as with the cd option.

prior to deleting all the versions of SQL that i found on the system both in the program files and x86 program files.  it would continue on until i got the 1st error which i reported.  i no longer can get to the point of selecting which files to install and continue on to completion or fail

Monday, August 13, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Would you please share/upload log folder for last installation trial.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Would you please share/upload log folder for last installation trial.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

i dont see any log file like i upload earlier from the install that generated the error

under the 110\setup bootstrap\log

one has a bunch of directories all with 20120812_xxxxxx (5 812 and 2 813) all in the program files area

no SQL directories were created in the x86 program files area, although i did delete a bunch that were under this section when someone suggested deleting the previous installation

• Edited by qcx2987 Monday, August 13, 2012 9:41 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 9:20 PM
  • so what's my next step, try to contact MS or try MS SQL?
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:00 PM
  • wow, support just told me that i would need to pay 259 to install a new product that i just purchased
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:22 PM
  • Can you share the log folder under

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log

not

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\log

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Can you share the log folder under

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log

not

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\log

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

i said earlier, no log file gets created once i deleted all of the previous installation of sql directories both in the programs director as well as the x86 program directories.  a log file was posted earlier from a failed install which generated the thread header message, but now the program never errors or the install just stops and i've tried every avail install option that i could find both with the firewall on and off with the same results

hold one i just found a summary text doc that i provide a link to in a min from my dropbox account

• Edited by qcx2987 Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:06 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:07 PM
  • I need the whole content of 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20120814_133433

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:09 PM
  • here you go.  all 34 mb about 1000 files

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39736597/Log.rar

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:16 PM
  • The main problem is you deleted SQL server components manually without using the uninstall wizard,

Can you try renaming the below registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110

also can you check-out below thread to clean the machine from the remnants of previous installation

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/3974daa9-9da1-46d9-8001-57b8517d3470?prof=required

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:00 PM
  • The main problem is you deleted SQL server components manually without using the uninstall wizard,

Can you try renaming the below registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110

also can you check-out below thread to clean the machine from the remnants of previous installation

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/3974daa9-9da1-46d9-8001-57b8517d3470?prof=required

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

k, will try and advise. do i start another install once i do?
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:22 PM
  • yes, Try to rename the registry key and see how the setup will advance, if it didn't work try the approach in the thread.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:23 PM
  • yes, Try to rename the registry key and see how the setup will advance, if it didn't work try the approach in the thread.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

much better install went much longer and up to my original install setup failure as in post number 1 of this thread.  ref the failure to calculate the default value of the setting INSTANCED

so at least were making some progress

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:38 PM

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

much better install went much longer and up to my original install setup failure as in post number 1 of this thread.  ref the failure to calculate the default value of the setting INSTANCED

so at least were making some progress

than ran the repair part of the setup and got the following:

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

The state of your SQL Server installation was not changed after the setup execution.  Please review the summary.txt logs for further details.

error code 0x84B3002. 

you you want the error txt file or all the files again under 110?

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:54 PM
  • link to 72 mb of summary and all the files in the log directory

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39736597/Log2.rar

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Why you try to run repair

Would you please try running from the command prompt (run as administrator)

setup.exe /action=install

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:11 PM

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

so your saying i should not have run the the repair option as per your post #1 or two?  do i run this command at the root c:\directory?

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:17 PM
  • Run it from

G:\

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:21 PM

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

so your saying i should not have run the the repair option as per your post #1 or two?  do i run this command at the root c:\directory?

slowly but in jerks. executed from dos as admin, setup continued and that got the following

The product version cannot be retrieved from mediainfo.xml in "and property BaselineVersion. Error code 858C002F

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:26 PM
  • dos window also had error report as well:

The product version cannot be retrived from mediainfo.xml in : and properly baslineVersion

error result: -2054422481

result facility code: 1420

result error code: 47

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:31 PM
  • Could you please just upload the latest time stamped folder under

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:56 PM
  • after running again from g: same error as 1st post

failure to calculate the default value of settingg INSTANCEID

error code 8564001

plus dos window reported

same error message as INSTANCEID and the following as well:

error result: -2057043967

results facility code: 1380

results error code: 1

• Edited by qcx2987 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:26 AM
  • Could you please just upload the latest time stamped folder under

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

everhttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/39736597/Log3.rarything from setup bootstrap\log as requested

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39736597/Log3.rar

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:39 AM
  • is every new install of sql this tough?
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Of course no, the problem is you tried to uninstall SQL server manually

The problem now is 

Inner exception type: System.BadImageFormatException
    (01) 2012-08-14 17:26:09 Slp:         Message: 
    (01) 2012-08-14 17:26:09 Slp:                 An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
    (01) 2012-08-14 17:26:09 Slp:         Stack: 

Which indicates your DVD media is crrupted

I would recommend the approach in below blogpost

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ai/archive/2012/08/13/installing-sql-server-2012-developer-edition-using-sql-server-2012-enterprise-evaluation-media.aspx

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:51 AM
  • Of course no, the problem is you tried to uninstall SQL server manually

The problem now is 

(01) 2012-08-14 17:26:09 Slp:         Message: 
    (01) 2012-08-14 17:26:09 Slp:                 An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
    (01) 2012-08-14 17:26:09 Slp:         Stack: 

Which indicates your DVD media is crrupted

I would recommend the approach in below blogpost

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ai/archive/2012/08/13/installing-sql-server-2012-developer-edition-using-sql-server-2012-enterprise-evaluation-media.aspx

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

these errors were caused by the iso that i d/l from the address you gave me earlier file name

SQLFULL_ENG and produced the same results as the SQL Server 2012 Developer copy of the software i purchased from amazon.com.  and mounted by Virtual CloneDrive on my system

how is the above iso any diff that the one i already DL.

p.s. i just click on the link and it pulled up the exact same microsoft site i download the above version on a day or two ago.  they are 7 choices so maybe i selected the wrong one in the sqlfull_ENG iso

• Edited by qcx2987 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:58 AM
  • Ok, then to make sure that it is media corruption issue can you try to copy the content of G:\  to local drive (C or D) and launch setup from local drive

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:03 AM
  • the file is sitting on my desktop directly on the screen in front of me.  i just mounted it as a g drive with Virtual Clone Drive

would my screen resolution have anything to do with the install, it's running at 2560x1600 with a ivory bridge cpu

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:07 AM
  • The corruption happen if the ISO file is not downloaded correctly or completley

just to make sure that media is not corrupted  when you mounted the ISO as DVD 

copy all the content from the mounted drive to local drive.

below thread reporting issue same as yours and was solved by re-downloading the ISO

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/4da84ee6-587c-437f-b6b2-17d032902b0c

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:12 AM
  • d/l is about half way finished.

1.  do i need to do an uninstall of the previous version, using the unstall software b4 i try to install the new iso d/l

running out of gas tonight, so prob wont start the new install tonight but will try again tomorrow

tks

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:17 AM

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

• Marked as answer by qcx2987 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:36 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:24 AM
  • k, i'll do the 64bit 1st and it that fails try your x86 (32bit) mode and let you know tomorrow
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:44 AM

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

64 bit failed INSTANCEID error

x86 installed (or at least looks like it's finishing up the install right now

so what's the purpose of buying a 64 bit version, and a 64 bit operating system with all the extra memory and multi threading if the program wont install and use it

tks for all your help, although i would have perferred to have the 64 bit version working

many thanks

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:39 AM
  • shit about 1/3 complete on status bar and got an error message

a dll required for this installation to complete could not be run.  contact your support personnel or package vendor.  click ok and it continue to run

than got the following error

services sql server vss writed (sql writer) failed to start. verify that you have sufficient priveleges to start system service.  i hit retry and go the same message.  than i hit cancel

which than produced the following:

installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.  this may indicate a problem with this package.  the error code is 2331.  i hit ok and it appeared to continue to run the setup that failed again with a ton of red x errors in the setup program indicating install failed and telling me that the summary was in the log file.  i'll get those again and post a link and than go to bed.  16 hours on this is enough for today

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:55 AM
  • Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Would you please try extracting the files from the ISO image and run setup from local drive, more details in below thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/59c26d16-beba-48a0-9b1f-9a4c5cf4debc

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Would you please try extracting the files from the ISO image and run setup from local drive, more details in below thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/59c26d16-beba-48a0-9b1f-9a4c5cf4debc

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

at this point i really dont understand what you want me to do.  i just can believe that 3 iso download and my dvd are all corrupt and giving me the same error message on every one of them.  i did another d/l late last night and it gave the same errors than took the dvd again and did the x86 and said the same files were missing.  doubt very much that microsoft had the same missing files on every disk and image that was made
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:02 AM
  • I didn't ask you to re-download again,

I asked to follow the suggestion in the thread by _extracting-_ the files from the downloaded ISO image to your local disk and then run setup.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:16 AM

I asked to follow the suggestion in the thread by _extracting-_ the files from the downloaded ISO image to your local disk and then run setup.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

ok so i read the suggested thread, and it say's to do a checksum on the iso i d/l and than extract that iso to a local directory on my hard drive and try installing again. 

if this is correct.  do i try the 64 bit 1st used the admin dos command? and if fail than run the x86 using the same?

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:19 PM
  • unable to download the FCIV utility from MS web site found a few other places but those have unwanted programs with them that i dont want to d/l and have more junk installed on the system.  do you have another MS site than below.  have already extracted the iso to a local file but wanted to do the check sum to make sure the iso was good b4 i start spinning more wheels.

also the other thread mentions renaming a dll, should i be doing that as well once i progress

still need to know which version i should try to run 1st.  i also deleted all the previous editions of sql from my system using the normal uninstall process so that i could just start as clean as possible. 

if there a know image prop with the software why can i just get a replacement disk from MS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290/en-us

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:42 PM

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

ok so i read the suggested thread, and it say's to do a checksum on the iso i d/l and than extract that iso to a local directory on my hard drive and try installing again. 

if this is correct.  do i try the 64 bit 1st used the admin dos command? and if fail than run the x86 using the same?

did all as per your latest link with the except on doing a check sum as unable to d/l the program from microsof as it appears the files is no longer there

after doing the above.  64 bit still crashes at the original topic and the x86 goes much further but than has had the a dll error, that is followed up with the sql server vss writer failed to start.  verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system service

and finally ends with aunexpected error installing package error code 2331

i'm just plain stuck.  prob should have just bought sql 2008

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:46 PM
  • im able to setup and run mysql, oracle based db w/o any problem

does ms have a fix for these install problems.  i highly doubt that this is an img  prob on every d/l of the iso i make as well as the dvd with the same errors.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:35 PM
  • I am getting the same error when isnatlling SQL Server 2012. I bought a disc on amazon, I have also downloaded evaluation edition from microsoft website, but keep on getting the same error. Did you manage to install it? 
    Monday, January 07, 2013 11:00 AM
  • SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition Installation IssuesI'm experiencing the same problem.  I have had SQL 2008 on Windows 7, 32 bits system, that worked well.  I had recently upgraded to Windows 7, 64 bits and trying to install SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition 64bits, downloaded from MSDN site, encoutering this issue.  Log extracts are given below. 

Exception type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.CalculateSettingValueException

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:     Message:

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:         There was a failure to calculate the default value of setting INSTANCEID.

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:     HResult : 0x85640001

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:         FacilityCode : 1380 (564)

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:         ErrorCode : 1 (0001)

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:     Data:

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:       SettingId = INSTANCEID

:

:

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:         Message:

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:                 An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

(01) 2013-02-01 19:08:40 Slp:         HResult : 0x8007000b

I downloaded the second time from MSDN after seeing the log and thinking the download corrupted the iso file.  But the second one also ended in the same error.

Not sure if this has anything todo with my recent upgrade to Windows-7 64bits or there is some real problem with SQL 2012 iso file.

If anyone has worked out a solution, could you please blog here.

Thanks!

Friday, February 01, 2013 2:59 PM