none
sysprep a Windows 2008 R2 server with MS SQL 2008 R2 installed

Question

• I am new to MS SQL server sysprep. I am not sure what I am trying to achieve make sense or not.

Basically I have a Windows 2008 R2 server, on which runs a MS SQL server 2008 R2 and an application which uses the SQL server. I would to create a sysprep image with all above components installed - Windows 2008 R2 server, MS SQL server 2008 R2 and an application. During the installation of the application, it will create a database and populate data in the database.

I hope to be able to remove at the minimum the system specific information such as hostname, ip address and etc. If possible, I would like to be able to remove the MS SQL Server license as well so that during the installation of the generalized image, the user can enter its own licenses for Windows 2008 R2 and MS SQL server license server. But I would like to keep the data in the database. Is that achievable?

I tried to sysprep in two ways -

1. on Windows sysprep with command sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown

2. SQL server sysprep and then with Windows sysprep.exe command. To be frank, I don't exactly understand what is done by the SQL server sysprep step.

With either of the two ways, the image won't come up after sysprep. It goes into rolling reboot and displays the following information - "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows Installation cannot proceed. To install Windows. click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:38 PM

Answers