none
Report Server Windows service 'ReportServer' is not running - Error Help...

Question

• Hi,
       I need help in Starting Reporting Service, have problem in Starting My Reporting Server.Below i have provided details of what i did,please help me.

1) First i tried to run My Reports in my Reporting Server Portal,but i could not run it,it showed me an Error as below

Reporting Server Portal Error:
        "The Report Server Windows service 'ReportServer' is not running. The service must be running to use Report Server. (rsReportServerServiceUnavailable) Get Online Help "

2) So i checked whether the SQL Server Reporting Service is Running,but it's not running.So i started it,but this also showed me a Error as below

Service Error:
         "Could not start the SQL Server Reporting Services(MSSQLSERVER)Service on Local Computer.
           Error 1053: The Service did not Respond to the Start or control request in a timely fashion"
          I don't know why this Error came.

3)I checked the Event Viewer about what the Error actually is when starting SQL Reporting Service,it shows

Event Viewer Error:
          "Event ID: 107. Error:Report Server(MSSQLSERVER) could not connect to Report Server Database."

4)As the database could not be connected, i checked the Database Setup in Reporting Services Configuration .
          I selected SQL Server Credentials and typed User Name and Password,but in Task Status after submitting, Assigning Reporting Services Rights to User is not enabled.
          So i tried with Service Credentials in the Credentials Type then Task Status Completes Successfully.

5)Then i tried to Start Server Status in Reporting Services Configuration but it also showed an error as,

Server Status Error:
        "System.InvalidOperationException:Cannot Start Service Report Server on Computer
          Server1.-->System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The Service did not Respond to the Start or control request in a timely fashion"

I don't know what to do and Why i cannot not start or access my Reporting Services. Please help me

Thanking You...Please Help Me...
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Sundarrajan,

I am glad to hear that the Reporting Services windows service is running now.

For the reason of the initialization property is grayed out, that should be the catalog database for Reporting Services has not configured.

Please follow these steps to configure the catalog database and then initial the Report Server:

1.       Open the Reporting Services Configuration Manager

2.       Switch to “Database” tab.

3.       In the right panel, click “Connect” to connect a database server that is used to host the catalog database.

4.       After connecting to the database server, click “New” to create a catalog database.

5.       Click “Apply” to apply the settings.

6.       Then go to “Initialization” tab, click “Initial” to initial the Report Server.

For more information, please see:

Database Setup (Reporting Services Configuration): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187681(SQL.90).aspx

Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,
       Please can Any One Help,I need some solution for this Problem.

Thanking You...
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Hi,
       I need help in Starting Reporting Service, have problem in Starting My Reporting Server.Below i have provided details of what i did,please help me.

1) In SQL Server Reporting Services Configuration Tool only Server Status  is not Configured and Initialization is Grayed Out.When i started the Server Status,it trows Error
         "System.InvalidOperationException:Cannot Start Service Report Server on Computer
          Server1.-->System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The Service did not Respond to the Start or control request in a timely fashion"

2) Then i checked in the Services the SQL Server Reporting Service is Not Running.If i started it,the following Error Pops Up.
         "Could not start the SQL Server Reporting Services(MSSQLSERVER)Service on Local Computer.
           Error 1053: The Service did not Respond to the Start or control request in a timely fashion"
          I don't know why this Error came.

3)I checked the Event Viewer about what the Error actually is when starting SQL Reporting Service,it shows
          "Event ID: 107. Error:Report Server(MSSQLSERVER) could not connect to Report Server Database."

Please help me to Run the Report Server Portal.I am in need.

Thanking You...
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Check the SSRS trace logs and you should see detailed error messages there.  Read the stack traces and it should tell you want to do. 

Sometimes the service not starting can occur when, after a system restart, SQL Server i still starting after RS service has already started.  Usually this condition just fixes itself because the RS service will keep trying, and service control manager should keep trying to start us. 

If you continue to get a problem, add a service dependency between RS and SQL Server.

Hope that helps,
    -Lukasz
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Hi pscorca,

Based on the log you posted, the case looks like a service timeout issue.

Could you please help to check the following important information:

Have you seen the Event Id 7000 and 7011 in the System Event viewer?

If you found the Event Id 7000 and 7011 in the System Event viewer, and received the error “Error 1053: The Service did not respond to start or control request in a timely fashion.”, we can be sure that the issue is caused by a timeout.

To work around the problem, modify the registry to increase the default time-out for the service control manager. Please backup the registry before any modifications.

To increase the default time-out value to 60 seconds, follow these steps:

1.       Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2.       Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

3.       In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.

Note: If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:

a.       On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

b.       Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.

Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.

Click Decimal, type 60000, and then click OK.

This value represents the time in milliseconds before a service times out.

Restart the computer.

Note: This workaround may resolve the problem where the service does not start. However, there may be another related issue. We recommend further research to determine whether it is a symptom of another problem.

If the solution above does not help, please post the logs of the Reporting Service here. You can get the logs in “<Install Driver>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.<X>\Reporting Services\LogFiles”.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jin

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Hi Jin Chen,
       Thanking You for the Comments which is very really appreciable. As you have mentioned in your reply, the Error ID is 1053 but the Event Id i am receiving is 107

Now my problem is partially resolved, SQL Server Reporting Services is Running after i restarted the Machine,but the problem now is SQL Server Reporting Services Configuration Tool's Initialization Property is Grayed Out and it is Not Enabled hence my Report Server Portal is still not Running. Please Let me know if any suggestion.

Thanking You...
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Hi Sundarrajan,

I am glad to hear that the Reporting Services windows service is running now.

For the reason of the initialization property is grayed out, that should be the catalog database for Reporting Services has not configured.

Please follow these steps to configure the catalog database and then initial the Report Server:

1.       Open the Reporting Services Configuration Manager

2.       Switch to “Database” tab.

3.       In the right panel, click “Connect” to connect a database server that is used to host the catalog database.

4.       After connecting to the database server, click “New” to create a catalog database.

5.       Click “Apply” to apply the settings.

6.       Then go to “Initialization” tab, click “Initial” to initial the Report Server.

For more information, please see:

Database Setup (Reporting Services Configuration): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187681(SQL.90).aspx

Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:47 AM