none
SQL Server 2012 Express with Advanced Services on Win 8 CP: installation stops

Question

• Forum,

I downloaded the big package of SQL 2012 Express with Advanced Services 64-bit.  I started the installation process, but when it starts to install setup files, it does some work, takes up some memory, then it...stops.  I waited for an hour to see if anything would happen, and nothing.  I broke into the process with VS11B, and it looked like it kept calling Thread.Sleep() for some reason.  So, I already have SQL Express 2012 LocalDB on my system (it comes with VS11B); does this mean that I need to change/remove it before installing SQL 2012 Express?

I had to kill the process, so I don't know if there is even a log file, but I do have a minidump.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:36 PM

Answers

• Hi InLocoAbsentia,

Windows 8 is not recommended to install with SQL Server 2012 Express now.

The recommended operation system are: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2.

But I think, it will be supported as soon as possible in the future.

For more information, please see Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2012

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by InLocoAbsentia Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:01 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi InLocoAbsentia,

Windows 8 is not recommended to install with SQL Server 2012 Express now.

The recommended operation system are: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2.

But I think, it will be supported as soon as possible in the future.

For more information, please see Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2012

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by InLocoAbsentia Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:01 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Update: I tried to download the installer again, and today, it seemed to work.  I can attach the AdventureWorks sample and run queries against it.  Now running IIS 8 + VS 11 + SQL 2012 Express.  Bleeding edge stuff.
    Friday, March 23, 2012 7:00 PM