none
Replicate a database over the internet

Question

• Hello, im new to database replication and doing a little reading, i know you can replicate across severs etc etc. but im wondering how do you ( if possible) host a copy of the replicated database ( on th internet) so when ever you make a change on your sever it is reflected on the web sever's database

thanks

Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• This can be done by using a VPN or by using the Web Synchronization option for Merge Replication.

Have a look at Implementing Replication over the Internet.

Brandon Williams (blog | twitter)

Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:57 PM
  • hello, thanks for the link, reading

would also like to ask if you know a good step by step that will help me inplement this thanksa

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:16 PM
  • I assume the server and web server are on different networks?

I prefer to use a VPN for this, as Web Synchronization is only designed for trivial workloads.

A good resource for Virtual Private Networks can be found here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb545442.

Instructions on how to configure Web Sync for Merge can be found here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151255.aspx.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:32 PM
  • ok well yea the sever will just be a computer and the other database i want it to be hosted on whatever hosting company...

ill read on VPN

Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:47 PM
  • btw can i do any of this with SQL Express?
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Yes but keep in mind that the Express server can only serve as a Subscriber, not a Publisher or Distributor.  You will at least need 1 server as Standard edition or higher to act as the Publisher/Distributor.

Replication Considerations (SQL Server Express)

Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:39 PM
  • ok So what i need to do is, get SQL standard  and it will allow me to publish to an online database / sever?

Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:48 PM
  • is there anyway OTHER way to have a database copy and have an online copy that syncs with the local copy? cause....lol

im a student...no way  i afford even sql 2005 standard.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:51 PM
  • is there anyway OTHER way to have a database copy and have an online copy that syncs with the local copy?

You won't be able to use Replication with only SQL Server Express.

You might want to look into a backup and restore method, roll your own with tablediff, bcp, sqlcmd utilities, SSIS, or Microsoft Sync Framework.

What is your purpose for having the copy?

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:31 AM
  • ok

its a hwk project, but simple version, a customer(jason) comes in and pay $100 on their account so their new account balance is $100  that 100 is stored on the local sever. So say someone from another division has to look at  jason balance...i want  the other division to be able to checks jason balance not directly from the first organization database but i want it to connects to an online verion MUST BE READ ONLY so they can look at it.

Thank you

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:26 AM
  • Does you school participate in the MSDN Academic Alliance?  If so, you can grab a copy of SQL Server Standard from DreamSpark under a Student Use Agreement.

Setup a VPN between the source and target servers and synchronize one-way using transactional replication.

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:44 AM
  • no it doesnt sadly,

anyways concerning the VPN solution using replication is SQL sever standard required ?

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Yes.  You'll need SQL Server Standard edition or higher to create a publication.

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:58 AM
  • You might want to look into a backup and restore method, roll your own with tablediff, bcp, sqlcmd utilities, SSIS, or Microsoft Sync Framework.

What is your purpose for having the copy?

i cant use Standard edition...i just looked at the prices lol

what about those you just suggested...backup and restore table diff etc etc

Monday, February 13, 2012 2:07 AM
  • If this is a homework assignment — you shouldn't have any problems using the 180-day trial.

Monday, February 13, 2012 2:13 AM
  • its not that kind of homework

its also my personal project

Monday, February 13, 2012 2:17 AM
  • what about what you suggested
    Monday, February 13, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Hi Kemnet,

Are these two server in the same domain?

What I want to suggest is giving a SQL Server account to the other user and the account has only db_datareader permission.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:46 AM